Suggestion

Ask questions about the site and play with your account here.
svanarts
Air Marshall

Suggestion

Post by svanarts »

I have a suggestion about the titles that appear under the username like "Builder", "Tech counselor", etc. Could they be modified such that they more accurately reflect where we are in the building stage? I mean, I'm not a builder any more I'm done and flying. Are Tech Counselors really Tech Counselors? Can we ask them about flight safety items?

I know these titles are really linked to how many posts a user has made to the site. It just might make the site less confusing and more useful if these subtitles were a more accurate reflection of where in the building process the user really is.

Anyway, just a suggestion.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

I have been kinda silent on this one since I suggested it. Frankly, you can call me anything but late for lunch and I won't care.

To be honest, I am far from my title as well. The problem is in order to establish a hierarchy formed from number of posts that is relative to aviation is difficult.

Maybe just correlating post counts with MSL Altitude for that "Aviation" connection? Like:

128' MSL for 128 posts and the like?

When you reach a certain altitude you get new "WINGS". Those wings could be different colors representing your activity on the BBS.

Dunno, just an idea?

Whatcha think?

:? CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

The way that the software works is such that you generally get your title based upon which band you fall into as far as post count. It would be difficult to link it to your count on a singleton basis. However, I like the altitude idea actually. Can you guys come up with some banding and names?

As far as what part you are building I think its a great idea but dont want to take up the "title" aspect as that is a good indicator of someones post count, etc. You could use the signature aspect of your account and keep that up to date like CJ and I are doing. That would then allow you to update yourself without having to get one of us admin types involved. Thoughts?

-- John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

spikescopilot
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by spikescopilot »

Might I suggest that we do it something like on BMWST .... everyone gets a "Member" title, with other special titles awarded as moderators see fit? That way you don't have to come up with some airplane-themed hierarchy of titles.

We're all members, right? :P
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Spike's Co-pilot

http://www.nothingnoteworthy.com (Just another blog)

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

Hmmmm..... "Moderator awarded".... Might invite clickishness and toadyism. I came here to get away from that. :)

I'm still pondering it. Someone will undoubtedly come up with an incredible idea.

spikescopilot
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by spikescopilot »

Actually, on BMWST, almost everyone ends up having a special title -- they sortof get "gifted" on you based on something that you do or say, or some characteristic that you exhibit. It's kindof neat.

One of the mods gave me "You Go Girl!" when I got my motorcycle.
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Spike's Co-pilot

http://www.nothingnoteworthy.com (Just another blog)

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Ive changed the ranks. They are now based on airspace classifications. The higher your post count goes the bigger the airspace classification that you will be ranked into. Thoughts? Hopefully this will help remedy some of the confusion that the previous titles generated.

-- John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

GREAT Choice!

An excellent resolution!

:mrgreen: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!