Picture taking tips

Ask questions about the site and play with your account here.
bmurrish
Class D

Picture taking tips

Post by bmurrish »

Here is an idea for a new area. This one might be a good one for Cyphergirl. What is the best method for taking close up part pictures with a digital camera? I often find myself having to take the shot about 3 times before I get it right. I have found the flash to be a problem since the parts have a mirror like finish.
Bill Murrish
RV-8 Fuselage

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

Does your camera have a macro setting? This aids in close focusing. Mine has the option of turning the flash off when shooting closeups, but depending on how much latitude you have in exposure (some digital cameras are better than others here) that may require a tripod. I turn the flash off almost all the time, and have a small tripod that I use if necessary.
Thomas

l & d lewis
Class E

Post by l & d lewis »

I use the same trick as Thomas, mine will macro down to 1.8 inches. Shut off the flash, and sometimes wash it with a blue LED light pen for contrast, and put the shadows where you wan't them. Really hard to hand-hold that close like Thomas said...........
Larry & Debbie Lewis
RV8A - Empennage Complete
Wings Here, Hangar finished
N128LD - Reserved

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

If your camera has a macro/closup setting, use it, and also shut off the flash. Then just make sure the area is well lit, and hold it steady while snapping off the picture.

The nice thing about digital cameras is you can see right away if it comes out ok, and if not, just take another :)
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

bmurrish
Class D

Post by bmurrish »

Yeah the flash really messes the pictures up most of the time. I will try the blue LED trick for sure.
Bill Murrish
RV-8 Fuselage

bmurrish
Class D

Post by bmurrish »

Yeah the flash really messes the pictures up most of the time. I will try the blue LED trick for sure.
Bill Murrish
RV-8 Fuselage

spikescopilot
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by spikescopilot »

It's late, so just a couple quick tips until I get a chance to reply more thoroughly tomorrow. :)

- When taking closeup shots, stand back and use your zoom lens if you have one.... cameras have a hard time focusing when you get within a certain distance of your subject (depending on the camera).

- If you are using the flash, avoid shooting straight at the subject. Shooting "straight on" maximizes the possibility of reflections from your subject matter. Shoot at an angle, and the flash shouldn't bounce back at you as much.

:up:
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Spike's Co-pilot

http://www.nothingnoteworthy.com (Just another blog)