No longer a Subergin!

A forum to alternate source of power to include Eggenfellner and other conversions.
cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Ya know, I was just looking at that thing yesterday! I've sold most of the little stuff off of it. The rest of it is just good weight to hold stuff down in the garage when the wind is a blowin'! :wink:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

svanarts
Air Marshall

Re: Auto Conversions

Post by svanarts »

deuce01 wrote:I'm still undecided and would love to be convinced that the auto conversion was the way to go. This is why I post these questions....to get answers not to bash egg or lycoming. So I hope everyone takes my posts and comments the way I intended them. Oh and I only mention Egg engines because they seem to be the only viable game in town for conversion. I understand Mazda roterys are good as well but I dont seem to be able to find a large following on them.
I'm with you. I'm keeping a close watch on the Egg until I'm ready to purchase a motor. If I'm not satisfied they are safe, then it's a Lyclone for me.
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
Nirvana Rodeo / Dudek Universal
S-6ES N612SV - GONE but not forgotten
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

painless
Class C

Post by painless »

I made a downpayment on one of Jan's engines many moons ago. Saw one in his booth (actually a tent) at OSH and thought it was a promising engine package.

But then I started seeing things that were running red flags up the flagpole. I joined a discussion group for his engines, and it seemed that when anyone questioned Jan's design principals or even his credentials, Jan would go ballistic and get darn right mean with his responses. I was continually disappointed with his lack of professionalism. Made me very uncomfortable.

Then he started making all these changes to the package and I started to wonder if I was actually going to end up being one of his Beta testers.

Granted, the changes that he has made, and going with the H6 all constitute improvements to the design, but what about all the guys with his earlier variants?

Another major factor was the cost of the package. By the time I added the supercharger, at that time Quinti electric prop, engine monitor, the total cost of the package was over $30,000. I just could not justify spending that much on an auto conversion, no mater how much more "up to date" technologically it was over a Lycoming.

I ended up cancelling the order and now have an O320 in N782P that I am quite happy with. My hat goes off to all those who choose to go with Jan's packages and I do not berate anyone for doing so. Different strokes for different folks.
Jeff Orear
RV6A N782P
Hatz Classic, Welding fuselage
Hatz build log. https://eaabuilderslog.org/?blproject&p ... GNCwv&sid=
Peshtigo, WI

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

I can see how things used to be for people that had ordered the previous generations of engines. Jan was a one man show basically, and couldn't keep up with his order book. And of course, there were teething problems, which is to be expected with anything new.

I think Jan was quite defensive of his designs and credentials a while back, but again, that's more because he was the new guy on the block, and LOT'S of people were questioning him. I think with the years of experience he has gained at this point, and having a staff helping him with orders and assembly, he has mellowed out.

I think he's a nice guy that was under a lot of pressure. I'd probably be the same way... :roll:

And as for cost, yeah, I've said it many times before...there really is no cost difference. The numbers can be swayed both ways depending on what options you have.

Like you said Jeff, different strokes for different folks! :)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com