Van's Thoughts on Engines

A forum to alternate source of power to include Eggenfellner and other conversions.
dynamicjohn
Class E

Van's Thoughts on Engines

Post by dynamicjohn »

I was heck bent on having a Centurion engine in my -8. Two things turned me off. One is actually converting the price into US Dollars, hit me a little, but think of the gas savings, right? And the second was when I was touring Van's factory, they Really Don't recommend non-Lycos/Lyco copies. The aren't even 100% happy about copy Lycos. At least thats what was impressed apon me. I was also trying to find a small turboprop that would be exciting. These aircraft are experimental so the builder can do what they want, but think of costs, safety, and ease of fabricating/modifing. When it comes to my choice of engine, look at what the large majority of RVs flying have in them, good old reliable Lycos.

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

That's the beauty of rolling your own. You put what you want in there. Hard to go wrong with a Lycoming. I put an Aerosport engine in my RV-4 for that very reason. I'm now considering an alternate powerplant for my RV-7. I love the choices in engine technology that we have access to. The certified guys don't really have these choices.
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
Nirvana Rodeo / Dudek Universal
S-6ES N612SV - GONE but not forgotten
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

From Vans perspective I can understand why they want the lycomming based engines. Im assuming that the reason they prefer Lycomming itself is because they have an OEM distribution agreement and because using a lycomming specified model takes care of things like oil filter mounting, etc. It makes everthing a known quantity and makes it easier for them to give phone support.

John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

Plus the standard Lycoming and it's variants give the RV series the performance Van advertises. The guys who put the auto conversion engines in don't seem to be getting the same performance numbers as the Lycomings.
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
Nirvana Rodeo / Dudek Universal
S-6ES N612SV - GONE but not forgotten
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD