All Aluminum V6 Buick Intake to oil Pan 285 lbs

A forum to alternate source of power to include Eggenfellner and other conversions.
Mike Balzer
Class E

All Aluminum V6 Buick Intake to oil Pan 285 lbs

Post by Mike Balzer »

I am relitivly new to the site and havent yet figured out how to post pictures. This Buick V6 all aluminum might be a possible alternative for a light weight aircraft engine.

This engine is based on the 3.8 LTR turbo v-6 that was put in the Grand National.

Has anybody done this engine in an experimental Aircraft?

Try www.TAPERFORMANCE.com and down load the PDF file.

They say this engine in a full blown race car can handle over 1700 Hp
It is better to be on the ground wishing you were in the air, then being in the air and wishing you were on the ground. N78MB

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

I don't know of anybody that has done it. Sounds like its possibly a very strong little engine.

What trade offs are you looking to make with an auto conversion?

John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

Bob Barrett
Class C

Contact Van's

Post by Bob Barrett »

Mike, I think I remember seeing an RV-6A with an Buick Aluminum V-6 engine at Oshkosh a few years ago. About five or six years ago. I could be mixed up and it could have been a Ford V-6 also.

Dan A
Class D

Post by Dan A »

Don't know about the Buick, But I have a friend in Wenatchee, Washington who has a Chevy V6 in his 6A. I understand it has about 600 hrs with no problems.
Dan

Bob Barrett
Class C

It could easily have been a Chevy Alum V-6

Post by Bob Barrett »

It coulod just as easily be a Chevy Aluminum V-g' I know my Brother used to have a Chev Buick Aluminum V-6 automobile and he always liked that engine. I could have the two mixed up in my memory. Mike is you are really interested talk to the guy with the Chevy Aluminum V-6 engine in his RV-6A. I think he had also gone to great lengths to not have the fuel lines in the cockpit. I believe the line from the right tank went through fuselage to the tank valve which was located in the space between the left wing tank and the fuselage. I think the electric fuel pump was out there also.