Icom 210 vs garmin

A forum to discuss installation of avionics such as GPS, NAV & COMM radios, audio panels, auto pilots, etc.
gsimatos
Class E

Icom 210 vs garmin

Post by gsimatos »

Do you guys know what the difference is between the Icom 210 and the Garmin equivalent, I think it is SL30. It is more expensive at about $1,600. I have a buddie here who has on and he likes it. I'd be intereted in your comments Thanks G

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

The icom A210 is a comm radio only the Garmin SL-30 is comm and Nav. Makes sense for it to be a bit more expensive. The SL-40 is likely the one you mean.

weezbad
Class C

well

Post by weezbad »

IF you are by chance using dynons the sl 30 and the dynons get along well with each other. no need for the expansion module. the sl30 will send info straight to the dynos vor,glide slope and loc. very neat stuff. if no dynons and you dont want nav function the 210 i hear is a nice unit. it however has some issue with the stanby freq. cant really use it for listening to atis or whatever. maybe others (cj?) will chime in on this.
and if you add a 2-496 garmin you can send info from the garmin gps to the sl30. (freqs.)
william....don't let it beat you down, you are stronger than you think.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

I haven't used my 210 yet, but from what I hear... the standby frequency monitor function isn't as good as the one on the Garmin.

Something about the monitored frequency dropping off monitor if you transmit on the primary?

Dunno, sounds trivial if you ask me.

I can't WAIT to use my 210, though!

It still is a ways off before I do.

:cry: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

gsimatos
Class E

Post by gsimatos »

I think I was thinking about the SL 40. I also like the display on the ICOM tho I also heard it may not prioritize one frequency when you are in dual frequency mode.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Gary, I dunno... really.

But I am sure there is a work around and there are probably things that the SL-40 doesn't do as well as the 210.

I like the display on the 210 and they tell me it transmits and receives exceedingly well. The menu works intuitively and the display is tremendous!

I am sure that there may be some minor issue with some way it does some standby something-or-other, but if you have a second radio it pretty much doesn't matter.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. My panel will be together in about a year and I may know more then.

:cry: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

gsimatos
Class E

Post by gsimatos »

CJ no problem. I am still a little down the road from putting a panel together and just reading the technical data on the different radios doesn't always tell the whole story. The best I think is info from folks who are actually using the stuff to see what works well and what is less than perfect. I think the ICOM is likely the way I will go. The display I find particulary attractive and not being a millionaire I think it is the best bang for the buck. Who the heck knows what is going to appear on the horizon in the couple of years. Anyway enuf philisophizing, gotta go to work. Thanks everybody for your comment. Cheers G