ICOM A210 mounting bracket

A forum to discuss installation of avionics such as GPS, NAV & COMM radios, audio panels, auto pilots, etc.
RVNewsletter
Class D

ICOM A210 mounting bracket

Post by RVNewsletter »

I'm perplexed, of course, in trying to install the ICOM A210 radio. I'm trying to get the radio tray fitted to the instrument panel. Problem is: I can't get the radio to seat properly into the mounting bracket -- I'm left with about 1/4" to go.

The top of the mounting bracket, hits this here "lip" on the radio:

The little locking dohickey obviously doesn't come up through the hole for it.

I've read the insructions on that mechanism, I'm not entirely sure what they mean and perhaps that hasn't something to do with it.

Anyone want to give a moron a hand?
Bob Collins
Letters from Flyover Country
http://rvnewsletter.blogspot.com/

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

I don't know directly, but is it possible that the locking mechanism has a bevel on it to assist in the final seating of the unit?

John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

4kilo
RB's First

Post by 4kilo »

Bob,

It looks to me like the locking lug is too close to the face of the radio. Try unscrewing the mounting screw (as if you were removing the radio) until it hits a stop. At this point the locking lug should be as far as possible from the face of the radio. Now insert the radio into the tray and start tightening the mounting screw. The first thing that should happen is that the locking lug will rotate 90 degrees into the hole in the tray. Next, the screw will start pulling the lug toward the face of the radio, locking it in the tray.

Pat
RV-8
N804PT - IO-360, Hartzell blended airfoil, GRT dual Horizon I & EIS, TruTrak ADI Pilot II
Flying - 950 hours!

RVNewsletter
Class D

Post by RVNewsletter »

Unless the two are somehow connected -- are they -- the locking mechanism's not clear the chassis is secondary to the radio not fitting into the mounting bracket all the way. I don't see how it can get in any farther since the tip of it is hitting the lip on the radio.

It's a conundrum to be sure.
Bob Collins

lancef53
Class D

Post by lancef53 »

Is this different than most units? It looks like you might be overthinking it, the nut(or dohicky) is used to both push out and pull in, it looks like you just need to tighten the head with the allen wrench and when it moves toward the face of the radio, the tab will swing down and do its job.

Sometime it works better for me to not try to seat the radio all the way by pushing it in. I slide it in most of the way, and pull it in the last 1/4" or so with the allen bolt.

Maybe I am all wrong, sorry if you are way past this point.

I believe they are connected, they are on the king and tkm units I have moved.

Lance
RV 8
First Flight--4-3-2010

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Bob,

There are two locking mechanism's on the unit...one to lock it by itself, and one to lock it to a stack...is the other one interfering? That's just my first thought because that happened to me.

Then, however...I had it happen again, and I did just as Lance is saying...use the allen screw to tighten it in the rest of the way.

The only other thing I can think of...is the back of the radio hitting anything on the rear of the tray?

I'm trying to think of all the little issues I had with fitting that radio...I DID have the same problem you are describing...
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

Saw the exact thing when helping someone with their 210. That locking thing has two ears if I recall, turn it so the other one is being used and it pokes through the hole. I didn't take a picture, sorry.
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

Spike, Don, Chad and the others are right. You need to use the Allen wrench to move the locking mechinism all the way to the back of the slot. Then it should fit in the tray and when you tighten it will move forward to lock and pull the radio unit back into the tray :) I had the same trouble with my ICOM A200. If you put the ICOM in and out enough, you will experience it again :?

RVNewsletter
Class D

Post by RVNewsletter »

Now that I've gotten getting the radio into the mounting tray figured out -- duh! -- does anyone have a few pictures of the passthrough of the radio through the subpanel. Did you reinforce with angle on all sides of that cutout or just the sides? And how did you anchor the radio stack there, it looks like the mounting hole is more than 3/4" forward of the subpanel.
Bob Collins

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

I didn't reinforce with angle at all...the fit on mine is REALLY tight, and I plan to RTV it to keep it from vibrating and causing any problems. If I did put angle in, I would only do the sides.
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

Bob, I put angle on the sides, bottom and I believe even the top of where my transponder, and ICOM 200 radio went through the sub-panel. If you look at the picture of my panel on www.mnwing.org you will see that I made a cover for the opening in my Instrument panel proper. Now when I add a GPS, add a radio, or change something I just can remove the cover and shorten it. I have angle rienforcement on each side of the Instrument panel and nut plates for the #6 screws that holds the cover on.
I have already had occasion to remove it for minor changes. I hope to be able to put a filter in the Manifold Pressure feed to eliminate some erractic behavior. :)