A210 won't transmit on first PTT press when Dual Watch Activ

A forum to discuss installation of avionics such as GPS, NAV & COMM radios, audio panels, auto pilots, etc.
Brantel
Class B

A210 won't transmit on first PTT press when Dual Watch Activ

Post by Brantel »

I just noticed what I think is a crappy thing about the A210 that I have never noticed before or heard anyone mention....

When dual watch mode is active, the radio will not transmit on the first press of the PTT button :x Instead it cancels Dual Watch and sits there. I must press the PTT again to get it to transmit.

I have heard that it would cancel Dual Watch mode on transmit but I had no idea that it took two presses of the PTT to get it to transmit?????

Anyone else's do this or am I just lucky? :bang:
Brantel (Brian Chesteen),
RV12-IS, #121606, N912BC - Building Now!
RV10, #41942, N????? - Project Sold
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB - SOLD

Brantel
Class B

It is confirmed! Please look if your an A210 owner!

Post by Brantel »

Yep it is confirmed that this is just the way it is, here is the reply from ICOM tech support:

"Brian,

You are correct, this is how the radio functions. This feature of the A210 is being discussed, as tech support stand point its out of our hands.

Carl Shearer
Technical Support
ICOM America, Inc.
2380 116th Ave. NE
Bellevue, WA 98004

(425) 450-6087

NOTE: Mention of a third party product or service does not imply an endorsement by or quality assurance from Icom America, Inc."

Everyone that can and will, please go here ....http://www.vansairforce.com/community/s ... ostcount=1 and fire off some request for fixes on this radio. I trust they will fix them if enough people ask. This could be one awesome radio if they just fix these few things....

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Brian-

Good catch. I fired off an email to ICOM via the page you posted on the VAF forums. I am glad I didn't already send the radio in for the first Dual Watch upgrade!
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

hydroguy2
Class B

Re: A210 won't transmit on first PTT press when Dual Watch A

Post by hydroguy2 »

Brantel wrote:....Anyone else's do this or am I just lucky? :bang:
If it were me, it would just be bad luck...I have a knack :oops:
Brian
Townsend, MT

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

Before we left for vacation on 12/10 I sent my A210 in for the 1.53 firmware update. I got it back last week and had a chance to try the new version out today. Here are the results:

FIXED... In version 1.53, dual watch is not disabled when you press the transmit button!!! Dual watch stays active after the transmission.
1. Prevent the A210 dual watch function from being disabled when the radio is transmitting requiring the pilot to push the dual button again to get back to dual watch mode.

FIXED... In version 1.53, two button presses are not required to transmit when dual watch is active!!! This was a byproduct of #1 above. Gone now!!!
1a. Please update the firmware on the A210 to not require two button presses of the PTT button to transmit when the radio is in Dual Watch mode.

FIXED... In version 1.53, instantly sending frequency data from the GPS into the standby channel works if your GPS supports this feature. Highlight the frequency you want from the GPS database and push it to the radio (different GPS's do this different ways) and it will show up in the standby channel. This is a sweet feature!!!
2. Allow direct frequency entry into the standby channel from a GPS that transmits frequency information when a frequency in the GPS database is selected and pushed to the A210.

Unknown...have no way to test this. I use an external intercom. (this was someone else's request)
3. Increase the dynamic range of the Intercom function's VOX control. As soon as I open the throttle on takeoff the VOX is triggered from the ambient noise in the cockpit. You then have two open microphones until you turn off the intercom function.

It appears that the A210 operates almost exactly like the SL40 now with this new firmware. Thanks to all those that helped communicate our needs to Icom!

The update costed me a little under $100. I asked them to go ahead and freshen my ribbon cable with a new one and to send me a couple spares. The new ribbon cables are longer than the originals. I was quoted half that amount just to update the firmware so they gouged me a little on the change of that cable....

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Excellent!! I'll have to pull mine out and send her in... 8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com