Need advice on traffic displays...

A forum to discuss installation of avionics such as GPS, NAV & COMM radios, audio panels, auto pilots, etc.
airguy
Class E

Need advice on traffic displays...

Post by airguy »

I'm still mid-fuselage on my 9A, this question is aimed at my current flyer, a C-172. I've got a KLN-94, KMD-550, and KX-73 in the panel, receiving TIS when near the major airports. TIS is not available elsewhere, and is going to go away from where it is now - and I spend a lot of flight hours out in the boonies. I know ADS-B is the coming thing, but I don't see many options right now for being able to get reliable traffic info until the manufacturers spin up production.

So my question to the group here is - what relatively cheap way do I have to get traffic info (outside of TIS area) into my cockpit, and preferably onto my KMD550 display? Once ADS-B equipment is available for the huddled masses at a price we can afford, I'll jump to that - I'm looking for a solution between now and then.
Greg Niehues
Midland, TX
RV9A - finishing - 90% done, 90% to go
http://websites.expercraft.com/airguy/
Building a 9A with too much fuel and too much engine - should drop dead any minute now. :roll:

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

It would be a bunch easier to answer that question if you weren't aiming at your 172. First thing I would say is to not be too worried about losing TIS. I had that service in my 172 and loved it. When I was looking around it seemed that the consensus was that we won't lose TIS for a while. At least until ADSB is really online.

As for that you can do I would say the best you could probably do is one of those portable units (ZAON??) that you can sit on your dash. At least without spending a bunch. I don't know however if you can get that wired into the 550.

Sounds like your 172 is of newer vintage.
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

airguy
Class E

Post by airguy »

Yes, the 172 is a 2001 model, very nicely equipped. Dual vacuum pumps, IFR GPS with coupled 2-axis autopilot, weather and traffic on 550, IO360 conversion with GAMIjectors, it's a traveling machine (at a blistering 118 ktas :mrgreen: )

I looked at the Zaon XRX coupled to a Garmin 396, this would get me what I want for about $2500 total investment. The other route would be to install a UAT transceiver in the airplane and start picking up the ADS-B ground broadcasts - but I don't know what kind of coverage exists yet and I'm not crazy about being the "bleeding edge" of any new technology. Since I've already got an IFR-certifified GPS and Mode S transponder, I believe that's the only piece I need, and that would allow me to put the traffic on the MXD550 like I want.

I currently have TIS functional in the airplane, but I only spend about 10% of my flight hours within range of a transmitter so it really doesn't do me any good. ADS-B sounds like it's going to be everything we want - but somehow I doubt it's going to look like the current plan when it is finally implemented and I'm worried about dumping too many aviation units into something that will get scrapped.
Greg Niehues
Midland, TX
RV9A - finishing - 90% done, 90% to go
http://websites.expercraft.com/airguy/
Building a 9A with too much fuel and too much engine - should drop dead any minute now. :roll: