Garmin G3X

A forum to discuss installation of avionics such as GPS, NAV & COMM radios, audio panels, auto pilots, etc.
itisgood
Class E

Garmin G3X

Post by itisgood »

Has anyone installed the Garmin G3X PFD?

I was interested in the ease of installation?
Thanks
Dave

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Dave,

Machine Man has one in his -7. I watched the whole installation and WILL put one in my -7 when I get this engine thing behind me.

In answer to your question, the Garmin seems a bit more complex to me than the others but the functionality is tremendous!

I am having the panel pre-wired by an avionics shop like he did so much of the interconnecting pinning will be done by them.

It really is a slick setup!

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

newtech
Class E

Post by newtech »

I recently finished a panel upgrade that added a GDU 370 PFD to my panel. The installation was really straight forward with no problems. Love flying it. You can follow my panel upgrade here: http://www.vansairforce.com/community/s ... hp?t=76546
Steve Eberhart, W9BOJ
3EV - Evansville, IN
Where is Steve and the Sky Terrier
RV-7A Slider, O-360 A1A, Catto 3 blade, New Panel with Garmin G3X and 696, Icom A210, Bionics APRS. FLYING since June 24, 2009

Thermos
Class D

Post by Thermos »

Rich (or CJ if Rich isn't around),

Did you install one display or two? When you've flown off your 40 hours, can I bribe you with lunch for a ride? I'd love to see how the G3X system works.

Dave
Dave Setser
Avionics, Firewall Forward
http://www.mightyrv.com
Putting the "slow" in slow-build since 2004

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Steve, WOW! I missed that over at the other place. Nice job with the wire loom too!

Say, do you notice that some times the red "X's" take longer to disappear and be replaced with data than other times or is your boot sequence always fast and complete?

Dave, Rich has his time all flown off. It flies WICKED GOOD! :)

Come down to the 99 meet up that we will be scheduling for next Wednesday and talk to him!

RV-7

Thermos
Class D

Post by Thermos »

Sounds good John, I just need to show up at the right restaurant this time! :o
Dave Setser
Avionics, Firewall Forward
http://www.mightyrv.com
Putting the "slow" in slow-build since 2004

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

HA! Yes, that would be good!

BTW, here is a pic of Rich's panel:

8) CJ
RV-7

newtech
Class E

Post by newtech »

captain_john wrote:Steve, WOW! I missed that over at the other place. Nice job with the wire loom too!

Say, do you notice that some times the red "X's" take longer to disappear and be replaced with data than other times or is your boot sequence always fast and complete?
I haven't really noticed it taking that long. It does take a while after the red X's have gone away but it is OK to start taxiing as long as you don't roll or loop it on the ground :lol:

Rich's panel looks pretty cool. I wish I had a second GDU screen rather than the 696 but I already had the 696 and blew the whole budget on the single screen G3X. I had been saving up for a Grand Rapids Sport but Garmin went and lowered the price to what was in the savings envelope; as they say the rest is history.

The Icom A-210 in my panel is from your Icom group purchase. Thanks again for that; after the firmware upgrade I love the radio.
Steve Eberhart, W9BOJ
3EV - Evansville, IN
Where is Steve and the Sky Terrier
RV-7A Slider, O-360 A1A, Catto 3 blade, New Panel with Garmin G3X and 696, Icom A210, Bionics APRS. FLYING since June 24, 2009

MachineMan
Class G

Post by MachineMan »

Hey All !
I'm a little behind on this discussion...

The G3x has been great. I'm just scratching the surface of the functionality.
(for that matter I'm sure all the "Glass" on the market these days will make you say WOW!)

I am still configuring screens and pages... I just now set up the screen to display the engine power precentage.
Next is to set up the "Lean Assist" function.

Dave, for sure!
let's take a hop somewhere and play with the AP (awsome)
You can read up on it:
http://www8.garmin.com/manuals/G3XElect ... sGuide.pdf
Rich M.
RV-7 G3x Mattituck TMX IO-360
365 Hrs since Sept 2011
Massachusetts
https://picasaweb.google.com/1106267560 ... directlink

Joew
Class G

G3X

Post by Joew »

I'm leaning this way too and have not gotten any responses from the other website. Does the G3X show AOA? What about AP's? I'm considering the Trio GX Pro, has anybody heard anything about this unit? The price seems right.

Cost is an issue (as always), but I would like to expand the panel as I can afford to. Are you guys using the internal GPS or installing a panel mount? What about cutouts for expansion.....Is that a waste of time? I see a 430W someday in the future.

I'd like to hear your thoughts. I'm still a ways out from anything firm yet, but would like to make a rough plan.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Joe, The Garmin DOES NOT show AOA. I have already plumbed the wings with the AFS "A" Kit and will certainly use it with one of their standalone displays as Rich has done.

I called John Stark (Stark Avionics out of GA) and talked about pricing. The Garmin uses a version of the Tru Track AP and from what he tells me, Garmin only charges about $2,500 more for the AP option!!!

I am planning a 2 screen system (once again like Rich) and that is all the GPS you need for VFR. If you want IFR you will need a 430 to drive it.

Rich has the panel wired with a tray for the 430 and all he needs to do is slide it in and presto chango... Instant IFR!

Does this help?

:mrgreen: CJ
RV-7