My RV-7 G3X Installation

A forum to discuss installation of avionics such as GPS, NAV & COMM radios, audio panels, auto pilots, etc.
captain_john
Sparky

My RV-7 G3X Installation

Post by captain_john »

Well guys, here we go! It is no Brantel panel, but I don't have all Brian's money. If I did, I could burn mine! Right Brian!?!

hahahaha

Anyways and nevertheless... this should be a useable panel when I am done.

I chose Tim Hass from Approach Fast Stack as my G3X dealer as he could set me up with the Fast Stack hub as well as the G3X goodies.

I am now tasked with the labor (this Labor day!) of installing this table full of components!

The plan is a light IFR panel featuring a dual G3X platform, a DTN650, ICOM 210, PS Engineering audio paneland no ADS-B stuff. I plan on subscribing to XM instead. I will also be using Marc Ausman's VP-X box.

I have already begun work on the installation. The panel has been cut for the most part and the avionics trays have been assembled.

I have also installed the GMU22 and the pitch servo.

The installation of the GSU25 had me wrapped around the axle for a bit. It needs to be solidly mounted and positioned in one of 16 possible orientations. I chose to construct a third (center) rib in my tip up structure to accommodate this and several other components. It is screwed in with 8/32's and constructed out of 0.063" aluminum. The screws on the bottom will likely share adel clamps to support the wiring and Fast Stack harnesses.

Here is the other side of the new center avionics rib.

There are LOTS of what I call "blind boxes" that get hidden underneath the panel. Seems like I will have about 7 of them. I still am waiting on the VP-X and the GAD29.

Sorry about the grainy iPad pictures. I will add some more taken with a real camera later.

Brian, any suggestions?

Gary, what do you think?

Thermos, when are you coming down to help me noodle through this mess of wires!?!

Mikey, I have too much booze and need your help drinking it. Fly up and say hello!

Vlad, where have you been!?!? This thing is coming along since you were here last. I need you to inspect it!

All, I am open to ideas and opinions!

:wink: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

looking good, won't be long now.

My panel is very simple but one thing I did which will help in the future....

Cleco the forward skin in place once in a while and make sure you can get to all the screws and connections. I found 2 places I had trouble getting a screw driver. It was easy to rectify before final riveting, but would have been a pain in the arse later.
Brian
Townsend, MT

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Brian, thanks for the pointer! I have been keeping an eye open for fasteners during the placement of these things, bucking bars and rivets included!

Soooo my other question for the group is this:

How will my G3i ignition transformer affect my GSU 25 operation?

The G3X installation manual is very clear that the GSU 25 shall not be located adjacent to electromagnetic sources. The G3i unit is basically a transformer and mounted on the front of the firewall.

Any thoughts? I will run this one past the G3Xpert(s) and see what they say.

Thomas, what do you know about the strength of the field surrounding the transformer?

:? CJ
RV-7

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Here is a picture of the G3i ignition module(s).

The red one is the transformer and the black one is essentially a relay box.

8) CJ
RV-7

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Really sweet CJ. I am looking forward to seeing it light up!

Spike
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

Joe Parish
Class D

Post by Joe Parish »

Very nice work CJ :mrgreen: Keep up the great work. I too look forward to you powering it up.
Joe
N525XC reserved
Empennage done
wings done
Fuse in progress
RV-9A

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

Looking great CJ.

I second what Brian says....be sure you can get to the stuff later and keep in mind there will be tons of wires to deal with.

What you doing for a backup battery?

You said light IFR so where is the backup AHRS?

I envy you folks that get to do this with the top skin off. I did not fully appreciate that the first go round. Now I sure enough do!

Keep up the good work!
Brantel (Brian Chesteen),
RV12-IS, #121606, N912BC - Building Now!
RV10, #41942, N????? - Project Sold
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB - SOLD

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

Looking great CJ.

I second what Brian says....be sure you can get to the stuff later and keep in mind there will be tons of wires to deal with.

What you doing for a backup battery?

You said light IFR so where is the backup AHRS?

I envy you folks that get to do this with the top skin off. I did not fully appreciate that the first go round. Now I sure enough do!

Keep up the good work!
Brantel (Brian Chesteen),
RV12-IS, #121606, N912BC - Building Now!
RV10, #41942, N????? - Project Sold
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB - SOLD

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Thanks guys!

Brian, I suppose that the word "light" is relative.

No back up AHRS and no back up EFIS.

I do not plan on really doing landings down to mins and if things go to hell in a handbasket there is the autopilot.

WYSIWYG for now. Perhaps a backup EFIS will follow soon?

I just located the Approach Fast Stack and a few other things. Stay tuned!

:wink: CJ
RV-7

clreding
Class E

G3X Installation

Post by clreding »

CJ I will be following you closely!!

I received my avionics order from Stein about the same time you posted yours. Stein and his team cutting my panel now and today I received the wiring diagram from them

I plan on doing this old school (crimping pins, running wires) instead of trying the fast stack, (decisions are based on current frustration level and $$) hopefully I wont be making too many changes once it works.........

Christer on Steins team made the panel layout easy but now my issue is finding places to put all of the devices that the panel devices need to work without creating other problems.

Last edited by clreding on Thu Sep 05, 2013 7:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Craig, That is awesome!

Sounds like your panel will be just like mine but different! hahaha

Here are 5 of the 7 goodies that need to be mounted behind the panel.

I chose to mount the Fast Stack hub on the firewall recess. A chunk of 0.063" is stiffening things up on the engine side and six 8/32 screws are making a secure electrical bond to the firewall along with eight 470 4-4 rivets.

:) CJ
RV-7

Lycosaurus
Class G

Post by Lycosaurus »

Nice job Captain. That is going to be a nice panel when you fly. You will barely want to look outside :-)
Alfio
RV-9A, first flight Dec. 18, 2008
TT (tach) over 800 hrs.
Ottawa, Canada

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Thanks Alfio!

I am going to carry along a can of blue spray paint when I fly so that on nasty days, I can paint the canopy and just use the screens!

Craig, Looking forward to seeing your progress too!

RV-7

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Hey guys, here is a pic of the center rib. It is now sporting the GSU 25 and the GEA 24.

I had to level the fuse and align the GSU 25. Pretty straightforward.

I haven't ordered the VP-X box yet but this cardboard cutout is holding the spot for the time being.

I also am waiting on the GAD 29 AIRINC 429 interface. This cardboard cutout reserves it's spot.

8) CJ
RV-7

clreding
Class E

Post by clreding »

Looking Good! My panel for the 8 from Stein should be here tomorrow so hopefully ill be able to start using some of your ideas to catch up :)

simatos
Class E

Post by simatos »

CJ
Man that is looking good. I am looking forward to watching your install proceed. Very exciting. Did you cut the panel your self??

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Thanks guys!

Gary, Yes...

I cut the panel using a jig saw, die grinders, a Dremel and files.

I couldn't possibly send it out for cutting. I wanted to see it progress and make sure things were where I wanted them before I progressed too far.

The center rib was key to my planning for several reasons. I wanted the GSU 25 to be centrally located and this extra real estate allowed me to do that all the while making it a stronger rib than the two outboard counterparts. Not to mention the fact that without it, you would be hard pressed to fit all that stuff under there!

RV-7

simatos
Class E

Post by simatos »

CJ regarding your engine ignition stuff, I am also wondering how sensitive all the glass panel stuff is to big voltage gizmos. I may have asked this here on the site, but I have the old conventional Whelan strobe with a central power supply for three strobes. I was at a fly in recently and asked the Vans guys if they knew if the strobes would be a problem with the glass. They said ask the Dynon guys (who where there) The Dynons guys said ask the Van's guys so bottom line who knows. But i would think these magnetometers and associated stuff would be at least little sensitive to big voltage items, I wonder if anyone else might know? Anyway carry on and have fun. By the way i think Im going Garmin too.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Gary, the voltage isn't a problem. It is the magnetic field I was wondering about.

It seems that the GMU22 in the tail is the most magnetically sensitive component.

The electronic ignition module on the firewall shouldn't be an issue.

...at least I HOPE SO!

hahaha

;) CJ
RV-7

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

More stuff arrived!

Here are the approach fast stack cables.

When I first opened the package I was a bit intimidated! After looking them over and noodling through it, I made good sense of it.

I think the fast stack was a good decision for me. It is going to be MUCH faster than if I was to do it all myself and the interconnections are already made within the hub and harnesses!

I think that the Vertical Power VP-X Pro was also a good decision.

I slung it underneath the forward ribs on the passengers side. Seems like it will be easily accessed for all my feeds and loads there!

It does effectively eliminate any access to within this bay, but the only thing that is planned to go there is the GAD 29 anyways.

Today I am reading up on all this stuff and will be terminating wires soon! Whatcha think?

8) CJ
RV-7