Stainless Steel Screws

A forum to discuss installation of avionics such as GPS, NAV & COMM radios, audio panels, auto pilots, etc.
clreding
Class E

Stainless Steel Screws

Post by clreding »

I spent the day making up a Magnetometer mount and got ready to install it into the fuselage and came up with a question.

I had ordered some AN526C632 (stainless steel) nuts and washers to mount it to the longerons. Just for fun i took a magnet to one of the screws and it was slightly magnetic, one was just attracted to the magnet enough to drag it but not pick it up another i could pick up with the magnet although it fell off pretty easily. I do admit its a pretty strong magnet. Should I buy brass or just not worry about it?

I have 2 magnetometers going on the mount, GMU22 (Garmin) and the EDC-D10A (Dynon)

Thanks

Image[/img]

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Craig, go brass...

The ferrous component in stainless is dependent on the grade of stainless. IIRC there are 300 series and 400 series grades of stainless steels.

If you go with brass you can totally ignore the grades of stainless.

My two...

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

clreding
Class E

Post by clreding »

Thanks CJ.

The AN526C is listed as "Austenitic" stainless which is supposed to be non-magnetic.

As i said its very slightly magnetic but to be safe i think i will go with brass

Thanks again