Experimental Class

A place to discuss the installation of new flat panel instrument technology.
Philip Cobbin
Class G

airspace 0.2.1 release

Post by Philip Cobbin »

I just finished updating my website to release version 0.2.1 of the airspace program.

For bandwidth challenged or non programming types I can publish a prebuilt dvd of the database to install with flightgear. Should work with the windows version of lflightgear but it will be a day or so before I can check that out....

Enjoy

Philip Cobbin
Class G

OpenEagle

Post by Philip Cobbin »

I have some .ogg and .mpg videos (grainy) on the synthetic vision page of my website:
http://www.cobbin.com/synthetic_vision/ ... vision.htm

Current development source code is also available which integrates with FlightGear's current development code which uses the Open Scene Graph (OSG) library for rendering.

Enjoy
:)

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Now thats slick.
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

Philip Cobbin
Class G

Slick...and uses the FAA's official data...

Post by Philip Cobbin »

Yep, and you can tailor things to suit. With the mini-towers coming up to speed (their buggy and low powered apparently) we may in the coming year be able fit a screamer system in a small box in the cockpit to drive whatever size and brightness display you can afford! 8)

I've found setting up flightgear with OpenEagle on a vista hp laptop is a waste of time as the OS is a DOG! Bow Wow!.

Linux or perhaps a MAC is the only way to go. It is my understanding FlightGear also compiles on X for the MAC and the current development code is structured to be added to the FlightGear source code tree in the "utils" directory.

Have fun
:)

TomC
Class E

Display???

Post by TomC »

As someone alluded to in a previous post, what/where are the sunlight readable displays? Somebody obviously makes them. Where can a person get a single unit that has the qualities of an AFS EFIS (and there are alot of others)? I would like to make a GPS display with downloadable sectional charts. After that, I would add a weather overlay. All of this is possible today except I don't know the source of a sunlight readable display.

Philip Cobbin
Class G

Sunligtht readable displays

Post by Philip Cobbin »

Try googling
sunlight readable lcd display
and begin learning about who's who in the zoo and the costs.

Sunlight readable displays are still quite costly, but the costs are coming down at the same time cost and availability of solid state drives are coming down.

You might also google carputer as a term as the automotive techie's are also working in this area and I seem to recall a video example of a "high brite" screen in use that was pretty darn good in daylight.

If you find a 10 or 12 inch sunlight readable with a high pixel density for under a thousand let everyone know... :) :!: