My Enigma breathes life!

A place to discuss the installation of new flat panel instrument technology.
cjensen
Whiskey Victor

My Enigma breathes life!

Post by cjensen »

After sorting out whether or not my Enigma needed an external power switch (it shows that it does in the diagram, but that's for non-master switched/bussed systems-thanks Rob for helping with that one!), I made the main power plug harness, and fired it up for the first time!

SWEET!!

The computer/compass/AHRS is not hooked up yet, so no horizon color is available, nor is any other useful info...but this was a pretty sweet moment! Time to work on programming the screens!

8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Hey Chad-

SWEET! Congrats on getting the first device powered up! So I am guessing you have your master relay wired up too? I am about 2 weeks behind you getting things in the panel fire up. Keep it up!
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

Looking Good Chad...

My panel plans are all back up in the air again.

Dynon has done some things (or lack of doing some things) lately to really torque me off. Many things not just one or two...

I have a panel all cut and have been staring at a picture of my panel for months, have it as my desktop on all of my computers. Even have a copy laying by my bed to stare at.

Now after all of that, I am considering trashing the plan and starting from a different vendor.
Brantel (Brian Chesteen),
RV12-IS, #121606, N912BC - Building Now!
RV10, #41942, N????? - Project Sold
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB - SOLD

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

bullojm1 wrote:Hey Chad-

SWEET! Congrats on getting the first device powered up! So I am guessing you have your master relay wired up too? I am about 2 weeks behind you getting things in the panel fire up. Keep it up!
Can't wait to see your panel lit up! I have everything laid out, but last nights electron show was purely battery powered posi/neg wires hooked up to see the screen come to life. I'm gonna finish everything else before powering it up again...I just couldn't wait once Rob told me to give it a test...

Brian...yeah, I read all the posts about Dynon. That blows man. I stayed out of it, but read with interest...just didn't want to get in to suggesting anything. I'd hate to see ya start over, but I completely understand your frustrations...
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Brantel wrote:Looking Good Chad...

My panel plans are all back up in the air again.

Dynon has done some things (or lack of doing some things) lately to really torque me off. Many things not just one or two...

I have a panel all cut and have been staring at a picture of my panel for months, have it as my desktop on all of my computers. Even have a copy laying by my bed to stare at.

Now after all of that, I am considering trashing the plan and starting from a different vendor.

<THREAD HIJACK>
Hey Brian-

Things could be worse...you could of already of purchased the Dynon EFIS's, EMS and HS34! I think you're pretty lucky you figured out the Dynon solution wasn't everything it was supposed to be before you spent a buck (well, you said you cut the panel, so your out a little $$$).

I saw on the other board you are looking at the GRT Sport. I think it has the best bang for the buck. Especially when you consider all the ways you can lay out the screens. On one screen you can have the PFD on the left, HSI on the right and engine information on the bottom! Try that with a Dynon! On the other screen you can have weather and a map (yeah, I know the map isn't much).

Supposedly GRT is going to release a flight director for the Sport, along with a AOA. Me thinks this will be a Sun and Fun release.

The only thing you're missing out on is the the cheap autopilot ($1500 for two axis is tough to beat!). However, since you are going IFR, this could be a blessing in disguise. The problem with the Dynon EFIS/Autopilot is if the EFIS died, you lost two important IFR devices. If you go with a Trio/TruTrak, you have some extra redundancy (since the AP has its own AHRS). Sure, it's going to cost you more in the long run, but TruTrak has a great policy for upgrading. You only pay the difference. Start with a cheap 1 axis AP, then keep on upgrading.

</THREAD HIJACK>
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Congrats Chad. That is very sweet!
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

That's great Chad, turning on something new for the first time is always a thrill for me. It looks mighty nice even in a photo, so it must look great when you are right there.

I too feel your pain Brian, I've read the story as well. It has to be tough after you have spent all that time figuring out what equipment to go with based on the info at the time. Like Mike said though, at least you didn't have the equipment sitting on your bench or installed in the panel already.
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)