Possible Change of Plans?????

A place to discuss the installation of new flat panel instrument technology.
Brantel
Class B

Possible Change of Plans?????

Post by Brantel »

Hey Mike,

I'll just start a new thread to keep Chad's thread clean of creep.

Like I have said before, I was "." close to committing to the Sport before Dynon lured me away with the promise of a great AP for about 1/2 or less of the cost.

Right now it is a tossup between a single screen AFS or Horizon and a Dual Screen Sport solution. Two AFS's or Horizons are out of my budget.

The new high horsepower / synthetic vision systems just do not trip my trigger. Seems like higher cost for limited return to me. If I want to see the mountain in front of me while VFR, I will look out the window. If I am IFR, I will follow the rules to ensure that I won't hit it! If I can't see it VFR, I will either not be flying or be IFR.

The Sport seems to offer much bang for the buck.

The map really does not bother me much since most likely I will continue to make the X96 a part of the panel.

MGL would be on my list but I just can't get past the low resolution of the screens and their use of RCA cables for the AHRS connections.
Brantel (Brian Chesteen),
RV12-IS, #121606, N912BC - Building Now!
RV10, #41942, N????? - Project Sold
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB - SOLD

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

It is definitely an interesting landscape. I just read of another G1000 that went red X's. There seem to be a bit more deaths than I would have hoped. Sometimes I think round dials are still the way to go.
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Re: Possible Change of Plans?????

Post by cjensen »

Brantel wrote:MGL would be on my list but I just can't get past the low resolution of the screens and their use of RCA cables for the AHRS connections.
I'll only comment on the MGL since I have one...yeah, the resolution isn't as good as most of the others, but I've looked at them side by side, and it's not enough to be a deciding factor...that's just me tho. I'll sacrifice some rez for money savings. The Enigma has so many features for the money...split screens, 2 or 3 just like GRT, WAAS GPS, 3-D PFD, moving map, terrain, yada yada yada...oh, and an integrated autopilot (FREE download). All you need is one or two Trio servo's, depending on what you want.

As far as the RCA cables go...Stein made a HUGE deal about this to me face to face at Oshkosh last year. I still don't see what the big deal is. Sure, it's not an "aviation" connection, but it's SO easy to safety them in place, that it's not an issue. A simple bracket clamp off the panel rib is all that is needed. They're not going anywhere, and maintenance is a simple matter of loosening two screws...the same as any Dsub...

If I hadn't gone with MGL, I would've gone with AFS, no question...then GRT, then Dynon...

That last sentence isn't worth anything tho... :wink: :P
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

Mike,

How are you dealing with the limited number of analog ports? Does not seem like there are enough to get all the EMS items in that most people want these days not to mention the flap and trim display.
Brantel (Brian Chesteen),
RV12-IS, #121606, N912BC - Building Now!
RV10, #41942, N????? - Project Sold
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB - SOLD

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Brian-

I am two analog inputs short now -- leaving me put the Ray Allen LED bars in for the aileron and elevator trim. I was really trying to get them all on the EFIS, but it wasn't to be. In the end I used the logic that it wasn't worth spending an extra $2,575 to upgrade to the horizon to just get the extra analog inputs.

In the back of my mind I am always thinking about making some lightweight cheap EFIS for my plane that I would put the trim into (it would most likely be a trim/flap controller too). So I will probably put the indicators in some location that I could remove them and no one would be the wiser (maybe some angle screwed into the bottom of the panel. It will probably never happen, but who knows. Everytime I look at those ugly LED segment indicators I get a little more motivated.
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Re: Possible Change of Plans?????

Post by cjensen »

Brantel wrote:MGL would be on my list but I just can't get past the low resolution of the screens and their use of RCA cables for the AHRS connections.
Brian...I accidentally came across this post from Rainier on the other site today, and thought I'd post it here. He does a better job of telling the tale of resolution than I could...
OK, I am going to tell you to forget resolution. We don't use normal displays. We have some nice custom made stuff.
Why ? Because resolution is only one of many aspects. It may be of importance for your laptop or HDTV but it is less so for an EFIS.

Resolution comes into the picture for sure. Very simply like this: Take your viewing distance (2-3 ft) vs the virtual resolution of your camera - that is your eye. Balance those to get the DESIRED resolution. Why is that important ? Because as your resolution goes up, your display gets crappier (for lack of a better word) in many other respects. It's physics.
We evaluate many (I mean MANY) displays and have an excellent connection to one of the large display manufacturers who further modifies displays for our applications where needed. We take a display outside in bright desert sunlight conditions, we freeze the things to -20 degrees C, we run them at 80 degrees C. But most importantly for us is what does the display LOOK like in a typical installation with and without direct sunlight on the panel. Then we make our choice. At that point we could not care two hoots about the resolution. It simply does not matter. We do what is best overall.

Given current technology, we find a physical pixel size of around 0.2-0.3mm gives the best overall image for our application. Going finer results in less overall light transmission, going larger results in blockiness of the image.

Rainier
CEO MGL Avionics
In no way am I trying to get you to buy an MGL EFIS, I just wanted to pass this along for info...

8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com