Transition Training... CHECK!

A place to share flight experiences of any kind. Looking forward to our first "first flight" post.
hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

nice.

Sunday I'm taking the wife and one granddaughter to the Oregon Coast for a getaway week. Not certain what they'll be doing, but I'll be logging time with Mike Seager in an RV-7. :) hooray. I hope to do my first flight in August also.
Brian
Townsend, MT

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Chad, good call!

;) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

Get your plane already and signed off before you go to Florida and then you can come back and have your first flight! :) Way to go keep us posted but of course your aren't the shy silent type!

svanarts
Air Marshall

Re: Transition Training... CHECK!

Post by svanarts »

captain_john wrote:Jan has you do a reduction to idle on downwind (in order to get into the flap operating range), trim the plane and put in half flaps then increase to 1,100 or 1,200 rpm for the rest of the circuit.

What do you guys think about that?
Is that the ONLY way to reasonably get the plane into flap operating speed?
Do you have a better way?
How do you do it?
:? CJ
That's exactly how Mike Seager taught me to do it. I think it's fine. At least in my 5 years of flying the RV-4 it was fine. I think the reason they do it is because the fixed pitch guys would never slow down to a reasonable approach speed if you were to just throttle back to 1200. Well, not before the next county anyway. If you have a CS prop, noooooo worries.

If I pulled it back to idle and left it there, it made for a very steep and short approach which was fine as long as I wasn't following anyone in the pattern. If I was I would do just like they taught me, throttle to idle until I was in the white arc, then flaps as desired and throttle as needed to reach the runway behind the Cessnas.

Messing with the throttle never bothered me because I had to do that in the Champ too. It's nice to be able to pull it to idle and just drop it in. But not everyone is as good a pilot as we obviously are. 8)

It's a very forgiving plane, find your zone and enjoy.
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
Nirvana Rodeo / Dudek Universal
S-6ES N612SV - GONE but not forgotten
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

I haven't flown much in the last year and been building like a mad man lately. So the transition training prep has been on the back burner. Yikes we leave for Oregon in the morning. Last night I called a CFI and booked some skyhawk time for a quick tune up flight. 1.2hrs this morning and he says I'll be fine. So:

Beach condo....check
logbook....check
credit card for wife and 1 granddaughter......check
money for Mike Seager...Check
Excited for the RV experience.....Damn Right!

Talk to you suckers later
B
Brian
Townsend, MT

Bob Barrett
Class C

Hydro Guy wont think about us the whole time he is in Oregon

Post by Bob Barrett »

:lol: Hydro Guy wont think about us the whole time he is in Oregon!! But then I wouldn't either. I had the pleasure of getting two training lessons form Mike and he is good! The weather in Oregon can screw you up real good. Two friends of mine have gone to Oregon and ended up grounded by the weather ! I hope Brian has better luck. On my two trips weather limited my training time.

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

got my fingers crossed on the weather.
Brian
Townsend, MT

lancef53
Class D

Post by lancef53 »

Have fun!! Hope the weather is good for you!
RV 8
First Flight--4-3-2010