Earned my Instrument Rating Yesterday!

A place to share flight experiences of any kind. Looking forward to our first "first flight" post.
Brantel
Class B

Earned my Instrument Rating Yesterday!

Post by Brantel »

Well despite the 15-20 gusting to 25 winds yesturday in mountainous terrain, I earned my instrument rating on the first attempt. It was a workout and a long checkride due to the fact that we had to fly almost an hour to get to a NDB approach but I am satisfied with the results and relieved that I have this rating behind me.

This is such a great process to go thru and it has really taught me how much I did not and still do not know about flying.

I was lucky to have a great instructor and friend who has also built a RV7. He knows his stuff and one day I will be glad that he put me thru the wringer during the training!

Brantel

PPSEL & IA :mrgreen:
Last edited by Brantel on Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brantel (Brian Chesteen),
RV12-IS, #121606, N912BC - Building Now!
RV10, #41942, N????? - Project Sold
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB - SOLD

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Congratulations!!!

Out of curiousity, how long did it take? I have been working on mine for what seems like FOREVER.
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

Spike wrote:Congratulations!!!

Out of curiousity, how long did it take? I have been working on mine for what seems like FOREVER.
It took me a little over a year start to finish. I already had my 50hrs PIC cross country so that helped.
The fact that I cherish my family and I am building my RV caused it to take longer than it would if I was single and not building an airplane.

What hurts is logging 2 hours but only being able to apply 1.8 or so to the simulated instrument time. This adds up over 40 hrs!

I decided to do my entire 40 hrs of simulated or actual time with my instructor so this also added to the time and expense but I concider this well spent because it helped me get rid of some bad habbits and to drum the proceedures into my head.

I ended up with 40.7 hrs of simulated and actual instrument time. All in an actual airplane and no simulators.
Brantel (Brian Chesteen),
RV12-IS, #121606, N912BC - Building Now!
RV10, #41942, N????? - Project Sold
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB - SOLD

papakeith
Class D

Post by papakeith »

Congrats! :yay:
-------
RB's #1 heretic
www.bearhawk949.com

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Nice work! This rating alone is the most valuable post PPL rating one can get, even if you don't intend to fly IFR all the time. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :good job:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

tmbg
Class C

Post by tmbg »

I'm working on mine, but I keep getting setbacks...

for one, spending a month in the hospital didn't help.

But, the worst is the fact that my avionics keep breaking. My number 2 nav is a Narco NAV-121 which stripped its gears, and my avionics guy sent it off to be repaired. Three months ago. :(

My number one nav is a KNS-80, VOR/LOC/GS/RNAV. I recently noticed my GS wasn't working, and mentioned it to my avionics guy, and he pulled the unit and the indicator. My indicator has a GS deviation problem. Now I have ZERO nav radios in the plane, just an ADF :(

Seriously considering selling off all my radios and investing in a 430W and an SL30.
Ian
RV-7 SB, chugging toward final assembly
IO-360-C1C 200hp obtained.
Hartzell BA prop received.
James Cowl ordered.
N773WW reserved!

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

Congrats on the IR! :good job: I got mine last year, so it is fresh in my mind how you must feel to get that one under your belt.
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

COOL!

Congrats!

You are at the top of your game right now!

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!