Harbinger Checkride.....

A place to share flight experiences of any kind. Looking forward to our first "first flight" post.
aerial
Class E

Harbinger Checkride.....

Post by aerial »

I finally got my PPL ticket Monday! :yay:

I would have updated my progress sooner but I was a little leary of having the internet police report me to the FAA (Paranoid?) :deal: and causing me trouble. Now that I have my ticket they can all take a hike (with all the other Sierra Club communist :wink: ).

Disclaimer: I would not recommend that a student pilot buy a fast experimental to receive their primary training in.

I did, but here are the negatives.
1) Everyone and their brother will tell you that you are going to kill yourself flying the plane, and they all have some story of someone they knew who died flying. (With lots of details!)
2) Many will tell you all the evil habits of your specific plane, and you are not sure if they are true or they are trying to get you to "fire sale" it to them.
3) You will deny all the hocus pocus stories, but because you don't have any real experience it tends to make you a little scared ...before you even get in the plane! (In fact my instructor wanted me to solo at 7 hours, but I was still intimidated and kept him in the plane until 16 hours.)
4) It is hard to find and instructor who will teach how to fly it as a student pilot.
5) You may get kicked off of an airport (like I was) because the local pilots are afraid you are going to have an accident and they don't want the bad publicity or attention. (Many pilots are genuinely scared of fast experimental tail-draggers)
6) It is much harder to fly the PTS required by the FAA in your plane. (more on that later)
7) Everybody will tell you how to fly your airplane, but nobody will get in it with you.

Here are the positives:
1) FUN! Adrenaline!
2) "If you can fly this thing, you can fly anything." (Quote by my IA/A&P)
3) If you master it, it will teach you quicker a lot more about flying than an ordinary trainer.

One funny thing that happened to me was that I was invited to go live on the local radio station in an interview about learning to fly, in which I was being interviewed as a student pilot. After I got to the studio and the interview started I realized the guy that invited me was trying to "call me out" on the radio. He introduced me as a student pilot, stating that I was a good example of exactly what "Not to do" when learning how to fly, and how I was doing it all wrong. He started going on about the type of airplane I owned.....when another interviewee present piped in and started sticking up for me (He was an ex-WWII Mustang pilot.)... and we started musing about doing wing-overs and chandelles. People started calling in and loved it.

The capstone to my learning culminated in my FAA checkride. After passing the oral, preflight, airport operations, ground reference maneuvers, performance maneuvers, navigation, and instrument maneuvers, it was time for slow flight and stalls. The conversation goes something like this.
Examiner: "We are going to have to do stalls with full flaps."
Student: "The plane doesn't have flaps, it has a speed brake and it increases the stall speed. And the stall is not pretty, my instructor does not like the stall, and we don't do them with the speed brake down."
Examiner: "Hah, Hah, what kind of instructor is that. He's afraid to do stalls? Hah, Hah."
Student: "No, not afraid, he just doesn't like the stall."
Examiner: "Put in full flaps and slow it to slow flight."
Student: Student slows to VFE, deploys speed brake, slows to 90k indicated (Solo stalls at 78k indicated).
Examiner: Slow it down, and execute a 180 deg. turn to the right.
Student: Slows to 85k indicated initiates 10 deg. right turn. We are at gross weight (205 lb. examiner), full fuel, aft CG, 3500' elevation.
Student: "There she goes" No warning on the Stall, upside down into a spin. Goes around 2 times in 1 second. Spins so fast you can't see anything outside the cockpit. Sounds like we lost the tail or something as the air hits the speed brake on each turn.
Examiner: Takes controls, hamfists the correction and sends us back around the other way. Then back the other way.
Student: Takes examiners hand off the throttle and pulls it back. Plane starts to stabalize, student pulls speed brake and we fly out of the spin at 1000' elevation.
Examiner: "I've never not been able to get an airplane out of a spin! I guess the flaps are what did it."
Examiner: "Can you get this plane back to the airport?"
Examiner: Visibly shaken.
Student: Bounces airplane on first attempt, too fast, nervous, and skipped lunch.
Examiner: More visibly shaken.
Examiner: When plane stops examiner does a hail Mary and exits the plane.
Student: Flys the plane home.

I rented a C-150 and went to another examiner and passed my checkride.

Hindsight is 20/20. My recommendation is that a student pilot get himself a nice Cessna 150, get his ticket, and then transition into another airplane. But then some of us take roads less traveled.

Editorial Disclaimer: Don't believe anything you read on the internet, this post is not designed to be taken seriously and can not be relied upon in fact or intent and may contain gross errors and based on fiction in an attempt to "flavor" the dram·a·ti·za·tion. (Paranoid?) :mrgreen:

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Well...Congrats!!! What a story!! 8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Yay!
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

Womack2005
Class D

Post by Womack2005 »

That was interesting and funny. Congrats on obtaining your license to learn :mrgreen:
Will
7A 72452 Wings
\_____@(")@_____/

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

Quite the story, but congrats on getting the PPL.
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)

Speed3Guy
Class E

Post by Speed3Guy »

Wow! Congrats!
Guy Prevost
Albuquerque, NM
RV-8a Flying!
http://websites.expercraft.com/geprevo/

papakeith
Class D

Post by papakeith »

Way to go! Congrats! :yay:
-------
RB's #1 heretic
www.bearhawk949.com

Cherokee Driver
Class E

Post by Cherokee Driver »

:welcome: To the world of flying... and congratulations!!! If the story is true...it is an awsome one to remember and tell for years to come. If it is more fiction than fact...it is an awsome story to tell for years to come! :mrgreen:

CD
RV-8A
Wing Kit (Slow Build...very slow build)
Home of "Skunk Works, Wisconsin Branch"
"Glacial Pace...but lovin every minute of it!"

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

Way to go dude! When are you flying down to Oakdale? I'd love to watch that bounce as you land. :evil:

Seriously, congratulations! :yay:
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
Nirvana Rodeo / Dudek Universal
S-6ES N612SV - GONE but not forgotten
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Great story!

That is why they call a trainer a trainer!

:mrgreen: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!