1st flight in over a month!!

A place to share flight experiences of any kind. Looking forward to our first "first flight" post.
Brantel
Class B

1st flight in over a month!!

Post by Brantel »

Got my first flight in of the new year and in over a month today.

Two other buds of mine flew their planes and we went to lunch at KLOZ... They have a great restaurant there..

The oil temp this morning was 22°F. I ran down the battery trying to get it started. Charged it 25minutes and finally got it fired up.

I gotta get that heater built!! I am copying Chad's design!!! I also need to get that pre-heater pad glued on the sump. I bought that thing 5 years ago!!!
Brantel (Brian Chesteen),
RV12-IS, #121606, N912BC - Building Now!
RV10, #41942, N????? - Project Sold
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB - SOLD

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

Gotta get out there myself, although I did fly once so far in 2011. I need to add heat pad also. I'm in a heated hangar so wasn't planning one installing one until next year. I canceled a presentation at the Pilots Assoc. partially due to the chance of being in a unheated hangar overnight in Helena.

Today I got off work and went to the airport to install a canopy seal...didn't fit. Wind was blowing pretty good crosswind so went home. An hour later it's dead calm and sunshine...anyone got a lucky rabbits foot I can rub for good weather tomorrow.
Brian
Townsend, MT

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

We have had more cold weather and snow this year than I can remember for the past 20 years. Last year was colder (God was testing me since I was in an un insulated hangar all winter getting the airplane finished) but we have had much crappier weather and much more snow and ice this year...

Hopefully the trend stops and we can get more flying days!

The wife wants me to fly her to Disney end of Feb. for her 1/2 marathon run. I sure hope I don't end up driving!!!

I hate to start the engine when it is that cold. I know it is not good for the internals and the oil is like vaseline at those temp!!!
Brantel (Brian Chesteen),
RV12-IS, #121606, N912BC - Building Now!
RV10, #41942, N????? - Project Sold
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB - SOLD

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

Brantel wrote:.....I sure hope I don't end up driving!!!.......
Flying is always better
Brian
Townsend, MT

lancef53
Class D

Post by lancef53 »

I flew my 8 for the first time since oct. 22. Finally brought it home from the paint shop today.

It was like 5 below outside, and even colder in the cockpit :o . For some reason, the back of the canopy skirt didn't lay down just right. I didn't realize it until I was on the way home, so I just kept going. I was afraid to mess with the canopy when it was below zero, thought I might get to hear the dreaded RV8 crack if I messed with it.

Even 170+ kts isn't fast enough when you are cold!!

I was too cold to take any pictures when I got home, so I will get some soon. I brought it to our regular mechanic, to get the inspection done now instead of April.
RV 8
First Flight--4-3-2010

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

I'm hoping to get my first 2011 flight in tomorrow, and first since 12/23/10...I went out to the hangar about an hour ago to plug in my newly installed sump heater and I'll put the other pre- heater on it in the am for a half hour or so...I'll report back my starting oil temp...

Supposed to be sunny and calm tomorrow!!
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

I haven't had a flight in over a month either. Between the holidays, bad weather and dropping a big tree in my yard and cutting it up, there has been little time to fly.

I am starting to work on the wheelpants though. Chad inspired me to clean up my aerodynamically dirty airframe.

Last week I did make a remotely controlled switch to power on my sump heater via a text message. Cost to build was $250, and the pre-paid cell card costs $3.34/month. Here is my web log for details:

http://rvplane.com/?categoryid=10000&dayid=1005
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

Cool Mike, That sure beats driving to the airport. Does the power supply get hot when in the enclosure or is it vented?
Brian
Townsend, MT

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Mike, At first glance you have several code violations. Paramount is a National Electrical Code 110.3 (b) whereas you are using a junction box (the PVC Carlon 6x6x4) as a device box. It is in clear violation of the listing.

The combination of high and low voltage conductors within the same enclosure also raises some issues with insulation voltage ratings being different and no internal barriers separating the devices and circuit boards.

Upon closer examination I am sure that there would be some other things I could find.

Aside from that, could you make one for me so that I can turn my hangar heat on before I get to the airport?

Nice work!

:mrgreen: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

lancef53
Class D

Post by lancef53 »

Ha Ha tough crowd. You should probably send that box to me so I can inspect it properly. Then you can build a new one, call it version II. You can fix the code violations in that version :)

Didn't Tanis or rieff have a box like that for sale? I can't seem to find it anywhere.
RV 8
First Flight--4-3-2010

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

lancef53 wrote: Didn't Tanis or rieff have a box like that for sale? I can't seem to find it anywhere.
I think one of those companies sells something similar. I showed off my remote-switch at the EAA meeting today and another RV'er said he paid $400 for something similar.

And CJ, thank you so much for pointing out all of the code violations. I think I should just send it to you to fix and use the rest of the winter...

Tried to go flying today. Made it as far as the run-up area and the oil temperature sensor failed. Decowled it and found nothing obvious. The resistance to the temp sensor is infinity, so it looks like the sensor is toast. I'll give GRT a call tomorrow. It did, however, feel great to be in the RV. I forgot how much I missed her!
Mike Bullock

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Got an hour in this morning!! Glad I did too...I feel like I'm getting that nasty flu that's been going around now. Anyway, here are a couple pics from 6500' over my home airport. I didn't want to go anywhere being first flight out of annual.

The view out west...

My house!

And finally...the speed run test with the wheel pants on!!! 174kts, no intersection fairings yet!

Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

174kts, SWEET!!! There is more where that came from.

I got off work today, winds were supposed to be 15-20 gusts to 25, seemed calm. So, Figured I'd sneak out for a little "me" time. Snapped these pics just before I saddled up.......... I know it's the same old pics to you guys But I can't help but smile and take another one when I see her sitting there.

Felt good to launch, but as I climbed thru 5500 I got hammered and tossed about pretty good. Slowed to Va and turned south to find smooth air. No luck as everything above 1000agl was unsettled. I got pounded again and decided to call it a day before things got crosswindy at ground level. Oh, well 0.3hrs is better than nothing.
Brian
Townsend, MT

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

cjensen wrote:...I went out to the hangar about an hour ago to plug in my newly installed sump heater and I'll put the other pre- heater on it in the am for a half hour or so...I'll report back my starting oil temp...
Forgot to mention the temps from yesterday morning...hangar was 14 degrees, flipped the master on, and the oil temp was 90!!! CHTS's were 81-81, and that's only with the sump plug heater! I did not use my forced air heater since the temps were well within starting range.

Pretty pleased with that!!
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

a warm engine is a happy engine.

I need to install some sort of sump heater, not so much for at home but when away.
Brian
Townsend, MT

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

cjensen wrote: Forgot to mention the temps from yesterday morning...hangar was 14 degrees, flipped the master on, and the oil temp was 90!!! CHTS's were 81-81, and that's only with the sump plug heater! I did not use my forced air heater since the temps were well within starting range.

Pretty pleased with that!!

I get about the same. I find that my oil temp when I turn on the EFIS is around 80-90 degrees, and my CHT's around 75. When the engine first starts up the oil jumps to 100+ degrees. My thought it the oil in the sump is about 100-110 degrees. I really like the Reiff sump pads (200W). I can't see any reason to install the cylinder heaters with these results.
Mike Bullock

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

I agree Mike...my sump plug heater is 250W, and if I get those temps when it's in the teens, I'm satisfied every time!

8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support