Cincy - Wichita - Cincy

A place to share flight experiences of any kind. Looking forward to our first "first flight" post.
A2022
Class B

Cincy - Wichita - Cincy

Post by A2022 »

5 days on the ramp in Wichita. I forget how much wind they have in the Plains. 50 mph gust from North and then the next day, 60 mph gusts from the South. I was delayed on getting out of Cincy because of snow and planned to fly the swale down the Great Miami River because it is lower elevation and that can give a way out but was blocked by another squall and was getting close to CVG (deep in the Class B) so I turned and went North and threaded my way out. I don't have a heated pitot, so I need to stay clear of snow. I have blocked pitot tubes with snow in the past, but not on this aircraft. I had a problem starting on Saturday, the day to depart Wichita, -6C at night, attempted the start when it warmed to -1C, but the engine was still cold. I think I flooded the engine because I thought I should really try to put the fuel to it, no primer system. fuel was dripping from the cowl but not from the exhaust pipes. perhaps, it was simply too cold with no primer system to start? this was the first time in 10 yrs I couldn't go when on the ramp. I didn't run the battery down. I found out I wasn't to far from electricity and the line guys moved a truck and I slid over 3 spaces and connected my sump heater and a small battery charger. the following night it was -8C but the engine was warm the following day and started on the first blade. I found a use for my stubby oil door open tube; it stayed in place in 20 mph winds and was secure when I arrived the next day. staying another day was nice, watched KU basketball lose by 1 point with my father (it almost killed him) and my mother made good Rueben sandwiches and I read a book.

the aircraft was fine on the ramp, no hail! the chocks did not allow it to move an inch. it was a comedy act putting on the canopy cover in the wind. Litchfield sure is a nice airport to stop for fuel. I'll put that one on my go to list. two separate, non-crossing runways, in good condition.

on the way to Wichita, the homemade, hotter than hell burrito was really good in Rolla MO. you just can't beat burritos for packing and flying.

76 hr oil. before a long trip I'll add a quart and it will blow out back to 6 qts. some dilution is happening.

somehow, I was formation with 3 Cessna's but soon left them behind. :) all of us were fighting a slight headwind flying eastward. I had a larger headwind, 2000 ft higher, but a smoother ride.

a very good trip.

Steve Melton
N531EM, RV9A, Superior O-320, WW 200RV prop, Slick mags, CHT 330F, EGT 1300F, B&C, 1200+ hours
Freedom and Democracy are all that really matter.
Ride a bike, unlock the world.
https://www.rvplasticparts.com/
https://www.gpsdock1.com/