Fuse Block Placement

A place to discuss the design & installation of electrical systems.
dsmithlib
Class G

Fuse Block Placement

Post by dsmithlib »

I am looking for all the creative locations of fuse block placements.

I am an RV7 tipup relying on the Nuckolls Z11 plan with a Hot, Master and Essential fuse blocks from B&C.

I have been thinking of placing all three directly behind my (yet to be determined) EFIS. All models seem to permit the space.

But then, they are on the sub panel where much has been written about leaking water. Can't you just cover them?

My mapbox is installed to my panel face. I could build a support OVER the mapbox but, have never seen that done yet.

It's not too late to turn back if you feel strongly about alternatives to fuse blocks, I welcome mile of feedback !

Thanks, Dave
Dave Smith, Libertyville, IL
RV7 tipup-O360-IFR
Electrical and FWF in-progress
WWW.RV7PREFLIGHT.BLOGSPOT.COM

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Dave-

There are certain advantages and disadvantages to putting the fuse on the front and back of the subpanel.

If you put the fuses on the front of the subpanel, the only disadvantage is access. If you ever needed to change a fuse, you would need to get on your back and swear a lot. Also, adding new circuits could be an issue. However, how often do you need to change a fuse? I have 230,000+ miles on my 1996 Toyota pickup and have never needed to change a fuse. Assuming my average speed was 40MPH, that's 5700 hours of trouble-free fuse operations - or 2 engine overhauls in aircraft time! The advantage of putting the fuses on the subpanel is they are in a more protected area - environmentally that is. Also, the wire runs from your master/battery buses to the fuse blocks will be shorts (less chance of a short, albeit a small chance).

Putting them on back of the subpanel offers you the ability to quickly access the fuses (but not in flight). If you ever decide to redesign your panel with some deeper instruments, your fuse blocks in this location could be limiting to what options you have.

I was up in the air about this decision too until just now. I think I talked myself to putting the fuse behind the subpanel. If they aren't going to be accessible in flight, I don't see why I should leave them vulnerable on the back of the subpanel for no obvious advantage.

I think you should have some circuit breakers on your bird. Mine I will have three pullable breakers -- alternator field, trim (maybe flaps) and autopilot.
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

jim_geo
Class C

I did this

Post by jim_geo »