Voltage leak

A place to discuss the design & installation of electrical systems.
hydroguy2
Class B

Voltage leak

Post by hydroguy2 »

Finally got a battery and attempted to power up my panel. I pulled all the breakers, so I don't ruin anything...yet. Put my Multimeter on the main buss and sure enough good voltage when I flipped the Master "on". When I flipped it back off, the voltage just slowly bled to 0. it seemed to take a minute or so. :bang: why? I tried it again, same thing, so I flipped the Boost pump switch(LED "on" light) and it sucked to to 0 right away.

It was getting late and I might not be thinking right, so disconnected the battery and called it a night. Seems like I'm getting voltage leak somewhere. I'll pull some wires loose tomorrow and try some trouble shooting as I reinstall them.

WIRES! they'll be the death of me :bang: :bang: :bang:
Brian
Townsend, MT

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

I am not an EE, so take it with a grain of salt.

My guess would be that something wired into the buss has capacitance, hence the slow drop off to 0 volts. When you put a load on the buss after the master was off the load immediately pulled it back to 0 volts. I wouldn't be convinced that you actually have a problem.

John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

I try to limit my salt, so took your advice straight up. :wink:

Got home today and disconnected all components. found one switch wired bassackward. Fix that and closed the Master. Looked good, so dropped it out and plugged in 1 component at a time, applying power then off...next device, etc. Could not duplicate last nights situation. One thing I have not put back on was the diode on the master solenoid, I may have put that on wrong and i think would bleed voltage if so.

anyway, back to shop after a cold one.......Sobe' energy drink, that is.
Brian
Townsend, MT