Bose Headset - need help please

A place to discuss the design & installation of electrical systems.
BSwayze
Class C

Bose Headset - need help please

Post by BSwayze »

I'm wondering if someone can help me with an issue regarding my headset. I'm not an electrical guru at all, unfortunately. I recently found a very good used Bose X headset for sale at a good price. So I bought it. I had to move fast and I didn't have much time to learn. It's the version that is panel-powered (no batteries in the control module). Sounded good to me. This headset is really nice, like brand new, and I really like it.

My inexperience is really showing here. It seems I don't know much about headsets either. Silly me, I thought you could just buy a headset and plug it into any airplane you're flying in. But no. Bose has apparently developed their own proprietary plug for this thing. It's a round plug with 6 pins inside. Here's a picture:

Now, I can order a receptacle from Bose for about $30 that fits this plug and wire it into my airplane when the time comes:

So far, so good. But what I would really be interested in doing, is to be able to use this headset in other airplanes, too, particularly for all my pilot training coming up soon. Most headsets, from what I'm learning, have dual plugs on the end of the wire. Like this one: I went on the Bose website and found this adapter, for about $50:

Now here's the problem. I called Bose and they told me this will only work on the newer A20 model. It won't work on the X model. It's the same 6-pin plug, so why is that?

Here's what they suggested I order. It's a whole new wire, control module, and microphone, with the dual-plugs on the end of the wire:

Trouble is, they want about $200 for this thing! If I invest another $200 in this used headset, I'm almost at the price of a new A20 model. I don't need a new microphone, control module, or new wire. I just want to adapt it to the dual plugs. Can anyone see why I couldn't wire up an adapter like the $50 adapter above, and make it work with the X headset model? Has anyone done that? The owners manual has all the schematics and wiring diagrams inside. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience, or would be willing to help a guy out here.

I really appreciate any input. Thanks!!
Bruce Swayze
Portland, Oregon
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
RV-7A Working on Firewall Forward

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Linky

Spike
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

BSwayze
Class C

Post by BSwayze »

Spike,

That's it! Just what I was looking for. Beats the heck out of trying to cobble something together myself.

THANKS!!
Bruce Swayze
Portland, Oregon
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
RV-7A Working on Firewall Forward