Wing conduit location

A forum in which to discuss topics that are not specific to a particular series of aircraft (ie. how to cut alclad)
Joe Casey
Class G

Wing conduit location

Post by Joe Casey »

I am just starting on my QB -9 wings, and noticed that there are several warnings that when installing the conduit, to cut the hole in the ribs between the skin rivets (for ease of bucking them later) ... my question is; can the conduit be put on the top of the rib (near the already skinned wing), or would it interfere with the bellcrank, or something else?
Also, how does one cut the conduit hole in the first 6 or 7 ribs in the root area? I have thought about an extension on a step drill, but was wondering if there might be an easier way.

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

I cut mine with a unibit on a press since I didn't have a QB wing. That is the right tool but you might have to play with it to get at the inner most ribs.

You can put the conduit near the top of the skin but it might be difficult getting some of the upper holes cut. Near the wing walk comes to mind. No matter where you put it, you need to make sure you take a good look with respect to the bellcrank. If necessary you could not use conduit in that bay, and just tie wiring off out of the way.

John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl