When to order the "big stuff"?

A forum in which to discuss topics that are not specific to a particular series of aircraft (ie. how to cut alclad)
Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

When to order the "big stuff"?

Post by Spike »

In another thread Chad said this:
cjensen wrote:... It's getting exciting around here! Rolling the canoe was a big event for me because right after that is when stuff really starts getting installed...static lines, brakes, etc...VERY cool time!

This brings up a question. I haven't gotten a sense yet as to when I should start ordering finish kit, engine, prop, panel, etc. Any pointers as to how far along in the fuse to start placing orders for this stuff?

Spike
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Spike,

I would order the finish kit right when you flip the fuselage. From what a couple of people have said, that's about the right timing. However, it does also matter as to the pace you keep. For my pace, that was perfect.

Once the canopy is finished up, you have to decide whether you want to work on the firewall-forward or panel. I wouldn't work on both at the same time. I tend to recommend working on the engine/FWF stuff first, as the EFIS's seem to advance quickly. Engine/propeller technology not so much.
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Great Piece of advice, thanks. I am making good progress on the fuse. I was considering ordering the finish kit before 1/1/2010 to avoid the price hike but that might a bit premature. I am just now getting ready to prep the center section for primer.

Spike

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

I agree with Mike... His suggestions are spot on.

I do however suggest you figure out all of your firewall before hanging the mount on for good.

Punch all the holes, mount all the items then go back and mount the items and punch the holes for the stuff that you forgot, then go back and punch the holes and mount the items you forgot the second time.

For me, I wished I had my firewall forward kit alot sooner than I did. I bought a bunch of stuff here and there and had it deleted from the kit when I purchased it but it would have saved some time and shipping to just order it all when I was ready.

The finish kit will be needed sooner than you think. I ended up with a bunch of wasted time while waiting for mine.

Install the pitch AP bracket even if you don't plan on a AP. Do it now so you don't have to crawl into the back.

Install the harness cables and anchors sooner than later so you don't have to crawl in there to do that.

Install your static system so you don't have to crawl in there.

Install your Magnometer so you don't have to crawl in there.

Install your OAT probe so you don't have to crawl in there.

Install conduits everywhere so you don't have to crawl in there.

Install your antenna's so you don't have to crawl in there.

Install your ELT & strobe PS mounts so you don't have to crawl in there.

Run the wires to the rudder/trim while you have the aft deck off so you can reach in there easily without being stretch armstrong.

Run your rudder cables so you don't have to crawl in there. Put them in from the rear so you don't have to take them back out if you put them in backwards.

Drill extra holes so you can move your rudder pedals fwd and aft and find a spot you like.

Don't fall for those one hole blue eyeball fittings as they stink!

Ditch the tubing and order flex lines for the fuel, vents & brakes. It will save you a weeks work and a ton of bad words.

As you can tell, crawling into the tailcone after you have all of the parts installed is a pain in the gut and rear. I am still amazed that I can get in there and back out again........
Brantel (Brian Chesteen),
RV12-IS, #121606, N912BC - Building Now!
RV10, #41942, N????? - Project Sold
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB - SOLD

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

Best thing you can do is to write down exactly what you want in YOUR plane. This will become a plan to follow for your build. Once you have this plan, you'll do a better job of keeping ahead of the parts needed.(instead of changing your mind weekly)

I did a QB, but agree with others. Get the finish kit early, get the firewall forward early. .... That's right get stuff EARLY

If you have a way to keep things organized, get as much of the stuff as you can afford. If you are disorganized, wait until you need it.(I ordered 2 heat valves) Most everything goes up in price, but really doesn't change in performance or quality. Avionics are the exception....but you still need the plan.

Good luck

...waiting for my engine...still.
Brian
Townsend, MT

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Finish kit is going to be delivered 1st week in May and I am almost finished the fuse fabrication. Ill be doing all of the metal prep (dimple, deburr, prime etc.) for fuse assembly and the big canoe flip. I should have that out of the way before the finish kit arrives.

Still trying to figure out the engine/avionics order time. I have thought about saying the heck with it and just ordering it all at the same time.

Spike

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

Spike wrote:........I have thought about saying the heck with it and just ordering it all at the same time.

Spike
That'll work. The engine wont change, may as well start shopping and find the best deal and spend your money, price will most likely only go up.
AND someday you just have to say "this is my panel, i don't need what is coming in 6 months" and start buying at least the wiring for it.
Brian
Townsend, MT