Torquing AN Fittings

A forum in which to discuss topics that are not specific to a particular series of aircraft (ie. how to cut alclad)
Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Torquing AN Fittings

Post by Spike »

Any of you guys use any nifty tools to torque AN fittings?

Spike
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

4kilo
RB's First

Post by 4kilo »

Spike,

If you don't have a set of crow foot (no idea what the plural is, crows feet?) fittings for your torque wrench, you will probably eventually want them. I have two sets, one set looks like the end of a regular open end wrench, the other looks like the end of a brake line wrench. I find the open ones to be more usefull most often.

Pat
RV-8
N804PT - IO-360, Hartzell blended airfoil, GRT dual Horizon I & EIS, TruTrak ADI Pilot II
Flying - 950 hours!

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

I just bought a cheap set of crows feet (about $10) and use them with a short extension on my normal torque wrench. You have to apply a simple math factor because of the arm length on the crows foot, but that's all there is to it.
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)

TomNativeNewYorker
Class D

Post by TomNativeNewYorker »

For smaller fittings, we usually just use regular combination wrenches. Larger fittings either get special treatment with a bonney wrench or a ford wrench. The ford wrench is similar to a pipe wrench, but the jaws are smooth and wont damage the fitting.

As far as torque, we generally go to the guddentight torque value. Pretty much everything is hydraulic lines/fittings pressurized to 3000 psi and going to get a pressurized leak check afterwards.

Leak checking a hydraulic pump mounted on the engine gearbox while standing about 12 feet high on a ladder about 6 feet aft of the turning 5100 shaft hores power prop is real fun. You have to have some real testicular fortitude to do that trick.

Bonney wrench Image

Ford wrench Image

http://browntool.com/Default.aspx?tabid ... ductID=262