Compressors and tools...

A forum in which to discuss topics that are not specific to a particular series of aircraft (ie. how to cut alclad)
FLYBLUE
Class G

Compressors and tools...

Post by FLYBLUE »

Ok, for those of you well on your way or that have completed kits I apologize for the elementary questions...

I have a compressor at home but does not have the capacity etc. for this type of project so I am looking for a new one. Can anyone explain the advantages of dual stage over single. I found a rather large one at Home Depot that met the requirements, however, it was a single stage...any thoughts?

I am also preparing to order my initial tool kit and would like any thoughts on that. I have read that it is worth it to spent a little more on some things so I am not opposed to that...more thoughts?

Thanks,

Ben

nightflyer
Class E

Post by nightflyer »

As one Ben to another, let me attempt to answer :roll: . Single stage compressors use a single piston to compress the air once. It then goes into the tank where it accumulates to whatever pressure you've set. They're good up to aboout 150 PSI; I know of no application where a homebuilder is likely to need that much pressure. Dual stage compressors use a relatively large piston to compress the air once. The air then goes to a smaller, high-pressure piston which compresses it further, then into the tank.
The capacity of the air tank determines how often the compressor will kick in while using a given tool. Generally, the larger tank the better. Keep in mind that for some of the larger single-stage compressors, you'll need a 220 volt circuit.
As for tools, take a look at some of the "RV Builders" kits put together by sellers like Avery Tools and Cleaveland Aircraft Tools. They seem to include most of what you'll need and not much you won't use. Even if you choose to buy tools a few at a time, the kits will give you an idea of what to get.
As for brands, the Sioux line of air tools is highly regarded. Some folks think that buying a cheap tool, using it until it breaks/wears out, then buying another, make economic sense. Maybe so, but remember, you'll hopefully be using your drill and rivet gun for hours at a time, so it pays to have a quality tool in your hand.
Oh yeah, you're going to need a bunch (as in several hundred) #40 silver Clecoes :o !

Happy building!
Ben
RV-9A #90217
Empennage

Post by Guest »

Thanks Ben-

How far are you with your rv8?

Ben

N200PF
Class D

Post by N200PF »

OK, so a single stage compressor with a large tank would be best solution correct?

I saw the one at Home Depot as well (30 & 50 gallon) and had the same question about two stage compressors.

Will I be disapointed if I get the 30?!? I don't want it running the entire time I'm pounding or drilling...

- Peter

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

I have a single stage compressor with a 26 gallon tank. In working on the training kit Ive found that it hasnt been running much. Keep in mind that the compressor will start running before you run out of usable pressure as it tries to stay ahead of the curve. As such Ive turned it on to charge the tank, and then just unplugged it. Ive been able to drill and rivet for a few evenings without having to recharge the tank. Riveting really doesnt use much air. My cutoff wheel uses more than anything, but I dont use that tool much. Typically I would think that one run per building session would be the most you would see.

-- John

nightflyer
Class E

Post by nightflyer »

Personally, I think a 30 gallon tank would be just adequate, but a 50 would allow your compressor to work a lot less. By the way, some of these units (especially the oil-less ones) are pretty loud; you might want to consider locating outside your work area, if possible. Mine sits under a little roof on the back side of my workshop, and it's hard-wired into a dedicated 220 V circuit. I used PVC pipe to plumb it into the building. Works a treat!

Ben, I'm just about to finish the empennage. I purchased my RV-9A kit from the original owner, who bought it back in 2001 and never did much work on it.
Ben
RV-9A #90217
Empennage

apatti

Compressors

Post by apatti »

Hi all,
I have to chip in with my two cents... I have a 30 gal. oiless compressor from Sears that I have been using on my -8A. I have finished the emp kit and the ailerons and am currently working on the flaps. I find that it does run a lot when I drill and even more so when I use the die grinder (which isn't too often). And when it does run, boy is it LOUD! I wish I could get it outside like Nightflyer's. I keep hoping it will break so I can justify buying a new one, but with my luck it will probably out-last me. I think the extra money you spend now on a good compressor will be more than paid back in the future by not having to buy hearing aids! :)

As for tools... I got started with a kit from Avery and have been very pleased. I upgraded to a Sioux drill but kept the basic 2X rivet gun. They suggested the longeron yoke which has been very handy and a no-hole yoke which has been spectacular! I don't know how I would have gotten into some of the places I have without it. I also have a 3" yoke. There are couple of things that I think I overpaid for (like aviation snips; go to Harbor Freight) but for the most part it has been a good kit.
Like someone said earlier... you can never have enough clecos!

Tony
N97AP (reserved)

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

In my experience of finishing in a cabinet shop and as a professional woodworker for over thirty years, bottom line is, a compressor should only have to run 1/3 of the time you’re actually using air (important cooling issues) unless the compressor is of the type designed to run full time. Most small compressors (26 gal. being real small) just can’t keep up especially if you plan to paint yo’ plane with it. I would try to find a good used single stage compressor of the variety that is designed to run full time. Or get a compressor with a really large capacity tank. A fifty or one hundred gallon tank wouldn’t be out of line. Air tools use copious amounts of air. My single stage came from a guy that painted cars. I can shoot an entire kitchen and never have to wait for my tank to recover. That’s cause there aint no tank just my pressure lines. The high pressure side of my regulator rarely drops below a hundred psi. I think a lot of your decision could be based on whether or not you plan on throwing your compressor away when your project is finished. I've used two stage compressors and really don't see that much advantage to them other than recovering a tad faster. P.S. I plan to paint my own.