Vibration and Electric Conduit in Wings

A forum in which to discuss topics that are not specific to a particular series of aircraft (ie. how to cut alclad)
dons
Class C

Vibration and Electric Conduit in Wings

Post by dons »

I have been working on my wing ribs for what seems to be months and have put the suggested 0.75" holes in for the conduit like many others. My question has to do with if vibration of the wires within the conduit should be a concern, especially the ones going all the way to the tips. My thought here is that there is no regular securing mechanism as there would be in the case if the wires were clamped at each rib. The parking lot where I work has 35 foot metal lamp poles and a single access plate at the base with no wire clamps until the top mounted fixture (I'm sure several of you know where this is going already). When the wind blows at the right speed and vibrates the pole, the wires slap against the inside of the pole creating quite a racket. My gut feeling is that behavior can't be good for long term reliability and could easily occur inside the wing conduit. The wing conduit is smaller in diameter, is somewhat softer than a metal pole, not as long, but I still think about having long wire runs doing their thing inside there.

I suppose I could open the conduit near one or more of the inspection plates and secure the wires there, but that sorta defeats the purpose of the conduit and doesn't really work for the outboard half of the wing.

Am I worrying about something I shouldn't be ?
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Hmmm, thousands before have not reported issues. That probably says you are ok.

Personally I think I will be tying the wires into a bundle using string, and then securing with adel clamps or some such. A good friend did this in his 8A and its a very sound installation.

Spike
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

I can't say I found any reference to bad things happening in conduit, but after thinking about, I have almost convinced myself I would rather use clamps for the initial build and leave the conduit for any future wire runs that I can't do any other way easily.
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

I used the black corrugated conduit in my RV-4 wings and ran all the wires through that. No issues in 5 years.
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
Nirvana Rodeo / Dudek Universal
S-6ES N612SV - GONE but not forgotten
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

Thanks, I won't lose any sleep over this, I'll find something else to worry about at night, like engine choice, cowl, avionics, interior, etc. :)
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Yet another use for our good friend PROSEAL!

I gooped mine in place and won't lose any sleep over it!

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!