Glueing Aluminum Strips

A forum in which to discuss topics that are not specific to a particular series of aircraft (ie. how to cut alclad)
rv8or
Class E

Glueing Aluminum Strips

Post by rv8or »

Any of you guys have some advice for the Emp tips? I see a lot of sites with the T-88 used, but I found some 2 part epoxy at Home Depot. It's quick setting and the lable says 3000psi strength. Any problems using it? Does Van's recommend the T-88?

I'm sending an order to AS, so if I need the T-88 I'd like to include it with the order.

Thanks-

J

PS...Go Pats (I hate the '72 Dolphins), at least 'till they see the Cowboys again! :lol:
Joe Ferraro
aka: "jferraro16"
DFW, RV-8A Fuse

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

It doesn't matter one bit Joe. I used T-88 only because someone suggested it to me early along. Any two part epoxy will do the trick for those AL strips. I've never seen anything that says that Van's recommends T-88.

:)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Joe, not long ago I asked a similar question. Hands down the answer was West Systems epoxy, FWIW.

I have some but have never used it. One day I will crack the seal.

I am not a big ball sports fan, but the Pats are ON FIRE!

This is very unusal for the Boston area ball sports fan. The (REAL) Sox really did well this year too!

:o CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

West Systems is the best for finish, but for the AL strips for the emp tips, I wouldn't spend the money on WS. Just MHO... :mrgreen: Get the stuff at Home Depot...that's what I'd do if I was doing it now.
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

rv8or
Class E

Post by rv8or »

Yeah, that's what I did. I did just buy some West System stuff too, but for the strips, it seems not worth the effort. The Home Depot stuff is much easier to deal with. I'm thinking once the rivets are in, and the finsihing glass work is done, nothing's going anywhere anyway.

J
Joe Ferraro
aka: "jferraro16"
DFW, RV-8A Fuse

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

rv8or wrote:I'm thinking once the rivets are in, and the finsihing glass work is done, nothing's going anywhere anyway.J
That was my thought exactly, even though I did start bonding a few of them on with the West Systems Epoxy, I think I might try a faster way to bond the rest, since the rivets will hold them on when finished.
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR