Drilling out pop rivits

A forum in which to discuss topics that are not specific to a particular series of aircraft (ie. how to cut alclad)
CalKid
Class G

Drilling out pop rivits

Post by CalKid »

Not happy with several pop rivits on rolled leading edge of rudder. What's best technique for drilling them out? Also, I can't fit my pop rivit squeezer on the last rivit/hole because of interference with the counter balance wt. rib. How do you deal with that?

Thanks

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Hmm, not happy does not equal a good reason to drill a pop rivet out (IMHO) if it is structurally sound. Setting those rivets on the leading edges of control services doesn't always leave pretty rivets. If it just cosmetic, I would say leave them in.

As for how, well, don't rush it. You will need a bit somewhat larger than the mandrel.

The 'how do you get on this pop rivet question' is answered best by indicating that many of us actually have two rivet pullers.These would include a nice swivel head one, and an 'el cheapo one that we have 'modified' by grinding away the head as necessary for getting on hard to pull rivets. You will especially need this for the tanks.
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

weezbad
Class C

Post by weezbad »

they make a special tool for it but you can drill them out with high speed-low pressure. the trick is low pressure. to much pressure and the rivet will spin creating a difficult removal.
http://www.averytools.com/pc-495-21-bli ... -tool.aspx

good luck.
william....don't let it beat you down, you are stronger than you think.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Willie,

How ya doin?

You plane looks great! I heard through the grapevine that the engine has run.

John Will make it nice. John has talked about coming down to see you with it when it's done. I would like to join him if I can.

:idea: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Re: Drilling out pop rivits

Post by bullojm1 »

CalKid wrote:Not happy with several pop rivits on rolled leading edge of rudder. What's best technique for drilling them out? Also, I can't fit my pop rivit squeezer on the last rivit/hole because of interference with the counter balance wt. rib. How do you deal with that?

Thanks
I drilled out a ton of the pop rivets on the leading edges of my control surfaces for the same reason. My technique is to drill at a very fast RPM with very little pressure. Worked great for me.
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

weezbad
Class C

Post by weezbad »

captain_john wrote:Willie,

How ya doin?

You plane looks great! I heard through the grapevine that the engine has run.

John Will make it nice. John has talked about coming down to see you with it when it's done. I would like to join him if I can.

:idea: CJ
CJ,
im doing pretty good all things considered.

Ive been reduced to a mere r/c pilot :x :lol: but im having a great time with my family. Been flyin r/c heli's and let me tell ya, id rather build another rv than these microscopic toys. Man the parts are tiny. :bang: :bang:

It would be great to meet you in person. i am looking forward to seeing John in the rv at least maybe then i can tell people i flew my plane :oops: :cry:
william....don't let it beat you down, you are stronger than you think.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

I am looking forward to meeting you too!

Lemme see what I can do about working my way down there one way or another!

Best, 8) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!