Firewall pass thru

A forum in which to discuss topics that are not specific to a particular series of aircraft (ie. how to cut alclad)
hydroguy2
Class B

Firewall pass thru

Post by hydroguy2 »

My search technique must be flawed...or I'm just a retard.

I recall reading some folks didn't care for the fancy AL eyeball passthru's for the throttle, mixture and prop. I don't have any purchased yet and am even wondering if I will do anything besides the Vans snap bushings.

I'll have non standard locations and cables lengths.

What's the scoop? I already have to place an order with ACspruce, so if I need to get something special for these penetrations, may as well get them coming.
Brian
Townsend, MT

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

I hate the one hole eyeballs. It takes two people to work on them, the ball tries to spin when your tighten the nut and will wad up the coating on the cable or twist it out of whack. The flats for getting a wrench on them are too short and almost impossible to get them good and tight. The aluminum on aluminum anodized parts gald and stick together. If the nut gets lose, the ball will fall out. They say they can be drilled to size and they can but it is a pain in the but to do.

I would go with another product!!!!
Brantel (Brian Chesteen),
RV12-IS, #121606, N912BC - Building Now!
RV10, #41942, N????? - Project Sold
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB - SOLD

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

Thanks Brian, I now recall you're the one I read about that didn't care for them. Lots of money for something that is a pain.

So was wondering what would work better. I'm leaning towards snap bushings with a simple SS shield.
Brian
Townsend, MT

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Brantel wrote:I hate the one hole eyeballs. It takes two people to work on them, the ball tries to spin when your tighten the nut and will wad up the coating on the cable or twist it out of whack. The flats for getting a wrench on them are too short and almost impossible to get them good and tight. The aluminum on aluminum anodized parts gald and stick together. If the nut gets lose, the ball will fall out. They say they can be drilled to size and they can but it is a pain in the but to do.

I would go with another product!!!!
Not to contradict everything Brian just said, but I used 4 of these for my passthroughs and didn't have any of the above mentioned problems. I found them to be very easy to work with and a great solution.
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

Thats the good thing about forums, you get lots of perspectives on products...

I hate em and won't use em again. Others may like em. Mike can show me his secrets someday when we are flying these critters!!!

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Hehe...I'd be one to agree with Mike. I have four of them as well, and I had problems with the first one. That was before I realized they could be drilled to the proper size. I drilled the next three, and they were a breeze.

Depending on your access, they will more than likely require two people as Brian said.

:wink: :)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

I had no problem getting to them solo -- All you guys must have short arms or guts :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

Brantel
Class B

Post by Brantel »

short arms and long gut :werd:

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

Charles Barkley says round is a shape. So I must be in good shape
Brian
Townsend, MT