Bottom wing skins

A forum in which to discuss topics that are not specific to a particular series of aircraft (ie. how to cut alclad)
Joe Parish
Class D

Bottom wing skins

Post by Joe Parish »

I am finishing up my wings. Flaps are done, wiring is in for landing lights, strobe/position lights, pitot tube, AOA tubing, com antenna and marker beacon are in. The only thing I can think of left is harness for auto pilot which I do have one for a G3X and GX auto pilot set up but now thinking Dynon instead. I think I will be selling that one most likely and can always put the harness in later. Do I rivet the bottom skins now or wait till I need to mount the wings? It would be nice to have them done but wondering if I am better off waiting? I have the fuse sitting here. Thanks
Joe
N525XC reserved
Empennage done
wings done
Fuse in progress
RV-9A

Thermos
Class D

Post by Thermos »

Hi Joe,

Nail 'em on now...it's significantly easier when they're in the jig or on the wing stands. I don't know how you'd rivet those skins on when the wings are on the fuse.

Hope this helps,

Dave
Dave Setser
Avionics, Firewall Forward
http://www.mightyrv.com
Putting the "slow" in slow-build since 2004

Joe Parish
Class D

Bottom wing skins

Post by Joe Parish »

Sorry for the confusion. I was not thinking of doing them on the fuse. Just wondering if their is any reason to wait till later. I feel I have everything I need in the wings and can put the auto pilot harness in later with the bottom skins on. Thanks for the replys.
Joe
N525XC reserved
Empennage done
wings done
Fuse in progress
RV-9A

Doakes
Class E

Post by Doakes »

My wings were totally done and I ran the wires for the auto pilot after I put on the wings. Actually, I set the wings next to the fuselage on saw horses and then ran all the wiring through the wire holes, bty, it might be easier to put in the wire holes as you build the wing. I put my antennas in the wings so I needed 3 wire holes for each wing for most of my runs. Think about the size of the wires you will use and I used dynon heated pitot (AOA) which uses 2 plastic lines. Maybe I have talked too much. Best to you.
Dave

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Do 'em now while you have easy access and what not. You will feel better cause its not hanging over your head.

John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Joe,

Did you install conduit inside your wings? If so, you can easily run autopilot wires/etc later. Like Spike said, button her up and get the wings finished!
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

Joe Parish
Class D

Bottom wing skins

Post by Joe Parish »

I do not have a conduit, but I thought I could leave a string in the wing to pull an auto pilot harness thru when I want. The existing wires in the wing have a expandable sleeve over them for protection. Plenty of room left in the bushings for auto pilot harness I believe. I think I will get a tech counselor or a multi RV builder over to take a look before I button them up. Thanks for the input guys. Have a great Thanksgiving!
Joe
N525XC reserved
Empennage done
wings done
Fuse in progress
RV-9A

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

Assuming that it is to late to put some type of conduit in the wings, I would go ahead and run the necessary wires for auto pilot and maybe leave at least one other wire in each wing and a string before riveting on the bottom skins. I had my RV-6A flying and found that I needed another wire on the right wing tip for my OAT. I had conduit but had placed the OAT probe in the right fresh cabin air intake. For some reason engine heat was getting to the OAT Probe and one January morning when the airport showed 20 degrees F the OAT at altitude of 2000 AGL was 62 degrees F. Didn't we wish here in MN! I therefore moved the probe to the bottom of the right wing tip. It was easy to pull a new wire in the conduit.

Joe Parish
Class D

Post by Joe Parish »

Thanks Bob. The OAT is the one thing I need to research on where I want to put it. Many seem to put it on the bottom of the wing. I have seen them under the horizontal stabilizer too. Need to do some research and make a decision.
Joe
N525XC reserved
Empennage done
wings done
Fuse in progress
RV-9A

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

Where ever you can get the OAT wire with the least trouble. On the RV-6A getting wires behind the spar was a problem. That is one of the reasons I went to all lights being on the wing tips. Keep it simple stupid applies to me!

Doakes
Class E

Post by Doakes »

I put the OAT in the hole where the original pitot tube was to be located. It fit as if it were to be there in the first place.
Dave