Substructure Dimple Die Set for 3/32" Rivet

A forum in which to discuss topics that are not specific to a particular series of aircraft (ie. how to cut alclad)
stevewiz
Class E

Substructure Dimple Die Set for 3/32" Rivet

Post by stevewiz »

Just wondering if anyone is using the Substructure Dimple Die Set for 3/32" Rivet offered at Cleveland tool. It sure seems to make a lot of sense to me on how the parts fit together but maybe an overkill and not necessary. A big part of me thinks I should be doing the skins this way.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Necessary? Certainly not. Thousands of flying RV's and even more metal planes will agree.

Interesting, yes.

Would I do it? nawwww...

My old fashioned dimples seemed fine.

If you like it, do it!

Cool tool though!

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

DaAV8R
Class G

Substructure dies

Post by DaAV8R »

While I know some will swear by them but I see the substructure dies as a solution without a problem. Two dimples of the same size will be well nested during the riveting process and provide an interference fit. I see that as a good thing. Additionally, the deeper dimples will enlarge the holes in the substructure. This is really noticeable when using the tank dies. The tank dies enlarge the holes enough that some builders report their clecos won't hold. Bigger holes also make for more difficult riveting.

I say skip them.

bruceh
Class D

Post by bruceh »

+2 on the not needed comment. Take a couple of scrap pieces. Dimple them, then rivet. Cut the rivet in half and see if there is any gap between the underlying structures. You will see that the structures are all pulled together and filled up with the rivets during riveting. The substructure dimple dies may let the pieces sit flatter prior to riveting, but the end result is the same after riveting with or without the substructure die dimpling.
Bruce Hill
RV-9A N5771H flying over 1100 hours!
Build Log at http://www.overthehills.com/RV-9A-Project
Blog at https://flyingoverthehills.wordpress.com/
EAA Tech Counselor, A&P