Safe Cleaner

A forum in which to discuss topics that are not specific to a particular series of aircraft (ie. how to cut alclad)
Scott Spencer
Class G

Safe Cleaner

Post by Scott Spencer »

I have had both wings (spars with ribs attached) for my RV9 sitting in assembly stands untouched in my garage for the last two years accumulating grime. Any ideas on what household cleaner are safe to use to get the gunk off before I start working on them again?
Scott
RV-9A

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Supposedly Simply Green has just come out with a new aluminum safe aircraft grade simply green. Might want to look into that and report back :)

-- John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Personally, I would go even milder.

I doubt there can be THAT much grime on them from just sitting in the garage. Perhaps a solution of detergent and water? After a good rinse, wipe them down with laquer thinner.

8) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Wicked Stick
Class B

Re: Safe Cleaner

Post by Wicked Stick »

Scott Spencer wrote:I have had both wings (spars with ribs attached) for my RV9 sitting in assembly stands untouched in my garage for the last two years accumulating grime. Any ideas on what household cleaner are safe to use to get the gunk off before I start working on them again?
If you want to remove grime, as well as any possible corrosion, You could use a dilluted solution of Metal Prep 79 or 33 and then rinse with clean water. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/c ... epaint.php
After that, why not really protect it and use the alodine 1201 solution.

Just my 2 cents worth, and it's what I use before priming/painting.
I even used the 1201 on the inside fuel tank skins which is said to help the pro-seal adhere better.
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

mustang
Class E

Post by mustang »

I would use a capfull or two of Mothers car wash soap in a bucket of warm water. This is a gentle solution that will not harm the metal if flushed off with clean, clear water afterwards. Blow dry the parts with compressed air.

I would avoid the acid etch. Imagine any acid trapped between parts! It certainly cannot hurt to go the gentle route first. Then turn up the heat if you need to after trying the gentle cleaner.

Another good cleaner is WD-40. This is what Van's people spray on the QB fuselage and wings before shipping from the Phillipines overseas. It is also a pretty good solvent and will clean off just about anything. Once again, it will not hurt anything or pose any risk to the parts. It will penetrate everywhere and prevent corrosion.

Cheers, Pete
Peter Marshall
Newbie RV-8 builder.

You wanna draw, ....against the fastest rivet gun in the West??? LOL

Scott Spencer
Class G

Thanks

Post by Scott Spencer »

Thanks for the suggestions. Actually there is a fair amount of grime in my shop. I just spent two years building a house next door to mine and between saw dust and mouse turds the wings (both in stands center ribs attached to main and rear spars) managed to get pretty dirty even though I had them covered in plastic. No corrosion except one spot on the rear spar which a mouse used for a latrine. Nothing a little scotch-bright, aluma-prep and alodine won’t cure. I think I will wipe down with dawn detergent followed by a clean water sponge then WD40. First I need to finish cleaning a shop that’s a total disaster from the house building. BTW I checked simple green web site and could find nothing for aluminum. Should be ready to start pounding rivets again next week.
Scott
RV-9A

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

I think that is a good method.

Regular Simple Green we all know is corrosive to aluminum. This new stuff that I seem to recall being advertised in Sport Aviation or AOPA Pilot is supposed to be OK. Obviously, they want our business. Dunno if I would use it though.

Mouse turds! :o

Was it Stuart Little!?!

:P CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!