Tailwheel To Trike?

A forum in which to discuss topics that are not specific to a particular series of aircraft (ie. how to cut alclad)
jamie
Class G

Tailwheel To Trike?

Post by jamie »

Hey guys,

I know this has been hashed about on the other lists, etc. but as I'm nearing the ordering of my fuse kit next month, I'm curious about repeat offender builders who have built taildraggers then on subsequent aircraft decided on tricycle gear. I'm mainly curious about the motivation for the decision. Was it because you wanted more 'relaxed' landings or what? Are you happy you did it or do you regret not sticking with the taildragger? I would also be curious to hear from folks who did the opposite (trike to taildragger).

- JP
Jamie D. Painter
RV-7 Wings N622JP (reserved)

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Grant is on this board and is doing that very same thing. Speak up Grant :)

Akroguy
Class G

Post by Akroguy »

I'm not Grant, but I play him on TV. *rimshot*

I'm making the transition from manly man taildragger pilot to Nancy boy trike driver. Reason? No choice! RV10 is a nosewheel airplane. :cry:

I love taildraggers. I do not fear any landing any more than I would with the training wheel up front. Both airplanes will send you off into the weeds if you fall asleep at the helm. :o Build the airplane you personally find appealing.

The only reason I caution new RV'ers about choosing taildraggers is the (*&$^@! insurance requirements. If you're a low or no time tailwheel pilot, getting full coverage on your RV is like pulling teeth. Can really cost a lot of time and $$$ to get trained and insurable with minimum hours. And, this is with the Vanguard program through Nationair Insurance...the best in the land.

Brian
RV8 N94BD, five years of RV grins. RV-10 underway.

FLYBLUE
Class G

Post by FLYBLUE »

Jamie,

Congratulations on getting this far in your endeavor.

First, this is only my opinion, however, I will quantify it slightly: Having instructed aerobatics, warbirds, flying tailwheel etc for many years I personally would never consider a tricycle gear. Flying a tailwheel forces you to handle your aircraft well and any other aircraft you may fly down the road. I fly an Airbus A320 for a living and can generally sense if my partner has had experience flying tailwheels. Second, they simply look better. Finally, Van's RV are about as easy a plane to fly as there is tailwheel or not.

If you are not sure spend a little time flying both to see what you like. My money says you will go with the tail.

Ben