peeling the blue stuff

A forum in which to discuss topics that are not specific to a particular series of aircraft (ie. how to cut alclad)
prestwich
Class D

peeling the blue stuff

Post by prestwich »

I like the idea of only peeling the protective covering around the areas to be riveted, but don't see a way to do it neatly, other than a straight edge and an x-acto knife, which I'm afraid will cut right through the allclad. What are you guys doing?

Dan A
Class D

Post by Dan A »

A soldering iron works great and will not damage the alclad surface ---providing you don't press too hard. :mrgreen:
Dan N742DA 50 hrs and climbing

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Take it off!

Take it ALL OFF!

The plastic stuff too!

If you are gonna paint it, who really cares? How bad are ya gonna scratch it anyways?

I just don't see the reason why people want to preserve a finsih that is going to be coated with paint for eternity!

It just doesn't make sense. It is one of those things that won't make a hill of beans after you have been flying it for a week, year or a century.

...two cents

:drink: :spit: :popcorn: :good job: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

unless you want a polished finish. :evil:

i use the soldering iron method, and it works very well. i rounded the tip though. the out of the box tip was too pointy, so i ground it down a bit, and polished it.

you can also draw circles around each hole like i did to protect them even further. :mrgreen: see the thread 'New Idea?' to see what i'm talking about. it takes forever, but works well. oh, you're fingers will hurt after doing it as well. :(
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

cjensen wrote:unless you want a polished finish. :evil:
Egg zactly!

:lol: CJ
RV-7

prestwich
Class D

Post by prestwich »

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't want a polished finish on the outside, but I'm not going to paint the inside. Since the allclad is there to help protect against corrosion, I'd like to treat is as gently as I reasonably can.

Incidentally, please don't mess with soldering iron tips that you intend to use later for soldering! You'll destroy their ability to "wet" with solder.

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

yeah, but they're so cheap, i'll just get another one for actual soldering.

:)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

By the way I'm using a 25 watt soldering iron that doesn't seem to keep up, that is alow me to move along as fast as I'd like to. Is anyone using a higher power iron? If so how's it going when you use it?

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

i'd have to check mine. i have no idea what kinda power it has. not much, 'cuz it's sssslllooooowwww. :|
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

mustang
Class E

Post by mustang »

Yes, I had the same problem, the Alclad will suck all the heat out of the tip, and then it won't melt the blue stuff anymore. I found an old iron that was heavier and more powerfull and that is what I use now. I found that rounding the tip a little bit precludes the scratches too.

Cheers, Pete
Peter Marshall
Newbie RV-8 builder.

You wanna draw, ....against the fastest rivet gun in the West??? LOL

prestwich
Class D

soldering iron power

Post by prestwich »

I solder for a living, and professional soldering irons are temperature controlled. They are able to provide varying amounts of power to compensate for heat sinking, while maintaining tip temperature. The ones we use at work, IIRC, can go up to about 120 watts. We almost always leave them set at 800 degrees F. With that, I was able to melt about 1" per second of the blue stuff. I wouldn't even try to melt solder or the blue stuff with a 25 watt iron.

Cherokee Driver
Class E

Post by Cherokee Driver »

I find this works very well.

I bought the kit from a guy at Oshkosh a few years back. In it is the "Scoring-the-blue-stuff-off-of-Van's-aluminum-tip."

There is enough mass in the tip to stay hot even with the aluminum wicking the heat. The tip needs no polishing...it is smooth and round from the box. No marks are left on the aluminum. I simply clamp a thin rule in place and draw a line along the straight edge. Plenty of heat and no cord to get in the way.

http://www.solder-it.com/pro100.asp

If you do not have a butane soldering iron now...here is a good time to add to your tool collection. I use mine all of the time. They heat up quick and no pesky cords.

Just one more idea.

Eric
RV-8A
Wing Kit (Slow Build...very slow build)
Home of "Skunk Works, Wisconsin Branch"
"Glacial Pace...but lovin every minute of it!"

prestwich
Class D

Post by prestwich »

OK, I did the rivet lines on the outside of the HS skins, what about the inside? For you non-peelers, are you just doing strips on the inside, too, or taking all that off?

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

I take strips off the inside surfaces and use the blue stuff as a mask for shooting the primer. Remove the rest of the blue stuff right before final assembly.

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

i've changed my thinking on this subject, and now agree with CJ. i was going to have a polished airplane, but have since decided to paint all surfaces. since i am going this route now, i'm taking it all off. i really isn't going to get scratched, so i'm not fussin' with the rivet line de-plasticizing.

:goodevil:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Good choice!

Live a little!!!

:lol: CJ
RV-7

Rupester
Class G

Post by Rupester »

I talked to Ken at the Vans builders' help line about this several weeks ago. Though I'm desperately afraid CJ will get a big head about this :wink: , Ken said, " Peel the blue stuff off. T :wink: The longer it's on, the harder it is to get off, and besides, the last thing you'll do before you paint is to scuff the ENTIRE outside surface with Scotchbrite." So there it is from the "Big Guys" at Vans ... :mrgreen:

johnk
Class E

Post by johnk »

I imagine that the soldering iron technique raises the temperature of the aluminum along the lines melted in the plastic, with the temperature rise depending on the temperature of the iron and its speed across the surface. Does anyone know if this temperature rise is within the "safe limits" (whatever that is) of our heat-treated aluminum alloy skins?

JohnK

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

I dont worry too much about that John. There are times when I dont even get the film to seperate cleanly. I figure that the heat has to get to hotter than that to affect the hardness of the alloy.

-- John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

TomNativeNewYorker
Class D

Post by TomNativeNewYorker »

For flush rivet sets, a piece of masking tape on the face of the flush set helps reduce any surface finish boo-boos, and also hels preventing slipping.

Also rivet tap on the heads of the rivets help.