"Breaking" edges of HS-609PP...

A forum in which to discuss topics that are not specific to a particular series of aircraft (ie. how to cut alclad)
RV8Astandard
Class G

"Breaking" edges of HS-609PP...

Post by RV8Astandard »

The first step in building the emp kit is to put a 1/32" radius on the edges of the rear HS spar doublers. I've not had any problems deburring edges of parts using a deburring tool and emory cloth, but this is a much greater challenge. Does anyone have any specific techniques and tool suggestions to share to do this task properly?

Thanks, JC

728GD
Class E

Post by 728GD »

A file and a scotchbrite wheel. I cut the tapers with a 3 inch cut off wheel on a die grinder.
Golf Delta

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

You could also use a table mounted belt/wheel sander. That makes really quick work of it too :evil:

Jeff Moreau
Class G

Re: "Breaking" edges of HS-609PP...

Post by Jeff Moreau »

RV8Astandard wrote:The first step in building the emp kit is to put a 1/32" radius on the edges of the rear HS spar doublers. I've not had any problems deburring edges of parts using a deburring tool and emory cloth, but this is a much greater challenge. Does anyone have any specific techniques and tool suggestions to share to do this task properly?

Thanks, JC
I simply ran the HS spar doublers over a belt sander and followed that up with a small mill file to break the edges.
After that I used fine emery paper to smooth out all of the mill and file marks.
Finally I wet sanded both doublers with 400 wet/dry sandpaper. this produced a nice satin smooth finish as is called for in the plans.
Certainly not the only way to accomplish the task but it worked well for me.
Jeff Moreau
RV8-A
N888JA