dremel tool Question

A place to discuss workshops and the use and desirability of tools.
papakeith
Class D

dremel tool Question

Post by papakeith »

Hi all,

My center ribs require me to cut an oval shape for one of the lightening holes. The centers for the two circles that make up the oval are close enough that cutting one hole and then the other with a fly cutter is not really an option.

I've read that the malco hole cutter is a good tool for this type of situation because you only cut the material out where you want (leaving the centers). This sounded like a solution.

Last night I remembered that Dremel offers a similar type of hole cutter attachment for their rotary tools.

In my mind, if it works, the dremel is a much more appealing. Once these 14 ovals are cut. A malco cutter would most likely sit around collecting dust becoming part of the "cool tool" collection. A dremel might just find some other useful purpose once the hole cutting is done.

Has anyone ever used this Dremel hole cutting attachment? I'd feel better plunking down the cash if I knew of someone who had experienced sucess with it in the past.

Keith
-------
RB's #1 heretic
www.bearhawk949.com

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

I just took a look at your ribs in the new progress pix link and it came to me that you could use a sabre saw. You know the hand held jig saw skill saw thingy. Then hit the edges with a file and debur tool.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Yah, the jig saw would be just the ticket.

Don't dismiss the Dremel though! With all the work you have ahead of you, the Dremel will come in QUITE handy!

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

papakeith
Class D

Post by papakeith »

I'm not dismissing the dremel at all. I already have two of them :mrgreen: (one is a knock off)
I just don't know how good the hole cutter attachment is. I'll head to Home depot and have a looksee. I've got birthday money that's burning a hole in my pocket!
-------
RB's #1 heretic
www.bearhawk949.com

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

OH! I see...

Get the carbide side cutter in all the sizes offered!

It does WONDERS in removing material in short order!

:mrgreen: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

papakeith
Class D

Post by papakeith »

As I walked the halls at Home Depot tonight, I remembered that I had a Ryobi rotozip style tool at home and that it might have a circle cutter attachment. So I decided that before I spent my money I would see if that tool could do the job.

After futzing around with it for 1/2 hour or so I decided to give the fly cutter another attempt. I reasoned that it was only 12 more holes (24 really). With some patience and some slow cutting all of the ovals are cut. Problem solved.

and I still have my birthday money to spend :D
-------
RB's #1 heretic
www.bearhawk949.com