Top Tool Wants?

A place to discuss workshops and the use and desirability of tools.
RV7Factory
Beanpolt

Top Tool Wants?

Post by RV7Factory »

I've been on a tiny bit of a tool kick lately, and I stopped and thought... OK, what's next? Anyway it got me thinking, what are the top few tools on everyone's "I want" list?

Mine, in no particular order are...
- 90-Degree Drill
- Rivet Cutter
- ???
Brad Oliver
RV-7 | Livermore, CA
RV7Factory.com

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

I think the ??? is on TOP of my list. I gotta get me one a those!! :lol:

Hmm...my top three...a 90 degree drill would be on my list (would've come in handy the other night :roll: ), a tube flaring tool, and MAYBE one of them nifty tungsten bucking bars.

I did just buy the top tool on my list the other day...a set of washer wrenches. Makes life MUCH easier on the aileron install! :thumbsup:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

RV7Factory
Beanpolt

Post by RV7Factory »

cjensen wrote:I think the ??? is on TOP of my list. I gotta get me one a those!! :lol:
Try eBay! :mrgreen:
Brad Oliver
RV-7 | Livermore, CA
RV7Factory.com

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Brad,

I just got the 90 degree drill and you definately only need it when you definately really need it!

DO NOT buy a rivet cutter! They NEVER cut evenly and you are better off touching it to the cut and polish wheel. MUCH better results!

Do you have a DRDT already? Oh yeah, they are that nice!

I am sure you have a Dremel.

The thing I WISHED I had done right out of the gate was gotten a Sioux 2X gun. It is a little late in the game for me, but I still may splurge and get one.

10 more hours in a day would be nice too!

8) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

4kilo
RB's First

Post by 4kilo »

I'd like the washer wrench set.

I have one of the Webster tungsten bucking bars, and it was well worth the $120.

Pat
RV-8
N804PT - IO-360, Hartzell blended airfoil, GRT dual Horizon I & EIS, TruTrak ADI Pilot II
Flying - 950 hours!

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Oooooh, The DOUBLE FLARING TOOL!

:mrgreen: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

RV7Factory
Beanpolt

Post by RV7Factory »

4kilo wrote:I have one of the Webster tungsten bucking bars, and it was well worth the $120.
That's good to know. Mine will be here Monday, and I was having a little buyers remorse.
Brad Oliver
RV-7 | Livermore, CA
RV7Factory.com

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

I just thought of my top wanted tool...the 4" no hole C yoke! I borrowed one the other night from RV-9A builder Carl Peters, and boy was it nice!!

You out there Carl??? Thanks again buddy! 8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

Snap
Class D

Post by Snap »

Stop saying all this stuff. You know how I am. Now I have to go buy all this stuff as well. I WANT IT, I WANT IT!!!!!! (insert kid chucking a tantrum)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
RV-7A Emp
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

Top of my list is a combo milling machine and lath. Oh the stuff I could make with one of those. Got the washer wrench set at Osh. I seem to use it all the time. One thing I don't understand about the DRDT tool is this. I can see the layout of cash if you're planning to build aircraft for a living. I don't understand justifying buying one by saying it's quiet. I mean at some point you're going to be pounding rivets and making noise anyway then what are you going to do? MHO :) It's better to throw your money at something else.

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Now, now Snap. Be a good little boy. Christmas is coming, and Santa doesn't like little boys that throw tantrums. :wink:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

jim_geo wrote:I mean at some point you're going to be pounding rivets and making noise anyway then what are you going to do? MHO :) It's better to throw your money at something else.
Yeah, but this is one of those tools that when I'm done with all the major dimpling, I'll sell it for a small, and I mean SMALL loss. When all the big stuff is done, mine will be up for sale right away! I'll still have my homemade C-frame for smaller stuff, or repairs that come up later.

As far as being quiet, if I can spend two nights being really quiet in my garage dimpling, and spend an hour the third evening shooting rivets, my neighbors (and wife) like me much better than if I would've spent three nights in a row rattling the windows.

Finally, the DRDT takes SO LITTLE effort to work it. The hammer and C-frame wore me out after a short while. :)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

Womack2005
Class D

Post by Womack2005 »

I have a 90 degree drill and they are indeed handy.

The tool I seem to wish I had the most is the longeron yoke. There have been many times when I could have used this. Perfect example was riveting the main wing ribs to the aft spar. I was only able to squeeze less than half of them with the standard C yoke I have.

I am not familiar with washer wrenches :(
Will
7A 72452 Wings
\_____@(")@_____/

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Here's a good pic of the washer wrenches-

$29.95 from the Yard Store. You put the washer in the correct size opening, and the just-barely-past-180-degree opening holds it in place. Slide it over the bolt, and give it a little tug or twist, and the washer pops right out. Slick! 8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support

Brantel
Class B

Don't buy a junker

Post by Brantel »

"Top of my list is a combo milling machine and lath. Oh the stuff I could make with one of those."

I have used the cheaper combo mill/lathe units and they are pure crap! Do not buy a cheap one or you will be very disappointed.

These things are not rigid enough to machine anything well. Plus the tooling can cost more than the unit itself.
Brantel (Brian Chesteen),
RV12-IS, #121606, N912BC - Building Now!
RV10, #41942, N????? - Project Sold
RV-7/TU, #72823, N159SB - SOLD

cnpeters
Class E

Post by cnpeters »

cjensen wrote:I just thought of my top wanted tool...the 4" no hole C yoke! I borrowed one the other night from RV-9A builder Carl Peters, and boy was it nice!!

You out there Carl??? Thanks again buddy! 8)
The 4 inch no hole yoke rocks. I have seen some suggestions on the VAF forums that if you only get two yokes, make it this and the longeron. However, my standard yoke has been handy in places where neither of the other two would work.
You can borrow the yoke whenever. I also have the 90 degree angle drill if you need to borrow it. As a thought, we should sort of tool crib some of these between us, as they get very little use and it would save in the long run. Afterall, we are only 3 miles apart. I have heard of some EAA chapters having a tool crib, but I believe ours does not. Maybe we (and any other local builders) can come up with a 'need' list and separate the purchases. My list includes the tubing flare tool. Perhaps some of the other 'bangers' already do this.
A note on the DRDT-2 - I can see the sentiments listed previously, but any chance to decrease noise is desirable. I usually won't bang rivets after 9pm, but my dimpling operations are never limited. The machine is precise and well engineered. It is so smooth and easy, my 12 year old has used it. Being only $150 more than the standard C-frame, and after trying Chad's, it was an easy decision.
Now, out to the garage... .
Carl Peters
RV-9A
N92RV (reserved)
Fuselage
http://www.mykitlog.com/cnpeters/

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

That's a great idea Carl! I'd be happy to participate in a tool crib. 8) 8)

Oh, I have your Aeroelectric book and CD for ya!
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support