Workbench height

A place to discuss workshops and the use and desirability of tools.
jimrobinette
Class E

Workbench height

Post by jimrobinette »

Hey guys,

I am in the process of building a new workbench. I am going to make it 4'X8' so that there is plenty of room. I was also going to make it with a little bit of an overhang so that I can sit on a stool and still work, not having to stand the entire time. Since I can make a stool any height I want, what do you find to be the optimal bench height for standing work? I am 6' even.

I know about the EAA 100 workbench, but what I am looking for is "from the field" input. I have been working off a 3' bench, and while it isn't uncomfortable, was wondering what you guys liked.

Thanks for the input.

Jim

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Most of my workbenches are 4' range, maybe a couple of inches taller, Ill measure when I get home tonight. I have one that is 3' but that is for power tools. A drill press on a 4' table is a bit tall. Im about 6'1" and anything lower than 4' is not comfortable to use.
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

Hey Jim,

I have a 4x8 table with overhangs, and it's 38" tall. I made the posts/legs 36", plus the thickness of the table at 1" and the carpet covering makes it just a hair shy of 38". It's perfect for me at 5'9" or so.

That's my field report for ya!
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Jim, this all depends on WHAT you will be working on!

The standard EAA 1000 bench, being at 36" is GREAT for most stuff.

My plans bench is 40" and the fuse stand is 18" off the floor.

Take this into consideration when you setup your shop. The height of the work necessitates a lower/higher bench.

Sooooo, I hope this helps!

:oops: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Gregg Swartley
Class G

My Tables

Post by Gregg Swartley »

My work tables are at 40". I found out that a 36" table is too short for prolonged work, My back would suffer from the slight bend. The 40" table allows my back to be straight and I can still reach the other side of the table.

My tables are 30" wide with one at 7'6" and two others at 5' long and all to 40" tall.

The two five foot tables were made an inch short then I welded a nut to a plate and screwed it to the bottom of the leg. I insert a carriage bolt to adjust hight for uneveness of the floor and perfect matching to the other tables.

Works for me.

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

First post for Gregg everybody!! Welcome :welcome:

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

Jim,

Definately have some overhang to it. It really helps to have an area of overhang that you can use to clamp things down with.

My first table had a 3/4 overhang... The bigger 4X8 table has about 1.5 inches of overhang and I like that better.
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

jimrobinette
Class E

Post by jimrobinette »

Dave,

Since yours is the only workbench other than CJ's that I have actually seen, I am using your 4X8 one as a model for mine. I don't know if you remember when I took all those pictures over a year ago, but that was my goal. Been working off of the 36" high ones that I had when I lived in RI and want to get something bigger.

I agreee with the overhang, but want a little more so that I can "sit" at the bench and work on some of the smaller items and get off my feet for a while. The majority of the work will be done standing, but...thought I would add a little comfort.

Thanks,

Jim

Wicked Stick wrote:Jim,

Definately have some overhang to it. It really helps to have an area of overhang that you can use to clamp things down with.

My first table had a 3/4 overhang... The bigger 4X8 table has about 1.5 inches of overhang and I like that better.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Jim, I KNOW how enamored you were with Dave's big table!

You have mentioned it at least a few times in conversations here and there.

You need a big table of your own! You should make one! Make it BIGGER!

:mrgreen:

Seriously, that big table is SUPER useful! If one has the floor space, (and Jim, I know you do) then you ought to make one. The key ingredient is the ability to walk all the way around it.

:) CJ
RV-7

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

My tables are as follows:
  • 3'X4' - 36" tall Quantity 1
  • 4'X8' - 40" tall Quantity 1
  • 2'X5' - 46" tall Quantity 2

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

I made the standard EAA 1000 tables. Being only 5'3" in my tall shoes they are plenty high for me. A taller guy seems like he'd hurt his back working over those benches.
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
Nirvana Rodeo / Dudek Universal
S-6ES N612SV - GONE but not forgotten
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

TomNativeNewYorker
Class D

Post by TomNativeNewYorker »

The distance from the floor to your belly button while standing should be a good height for the bench. Definatly have overhang of at least a foot all the way around. A shelf or two built into the main structure of the bench is very useful as well. If you do make a shelf for storge. I would highly suggest some way of closing it in otherwise it it is a magnet for drilling, cutting, and grinding byproducts. A hook on the bench someplace to keep the end of your airhose convienient is also a must have.

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

My bench tops are 34" from the ground with about 2" overhang all around.

Keep in mind that a lot of the things you are working on will be above the bench top - like LE / tanks in the cradle, etc. I am 5'10", and with 34" tops I still needed a stool to rivet the tanks and LE while in the cradle (to reach down inside). The flaps and ailerons were at a comfortable height ...

YMMV

T.
Thomas Short
Indianapolis, IN (KUMP)
RV-8 wings

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

tshort wrote:My bench tops are 34" from the ground with about 2" overhang all around.

YMMV

T.
With a name like Short, one would expect that!

:wink: CJ
RV-7

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

...but I do agree with the stuff on top of the bench that matters part!

:) CJ
RV-7

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

Yeah, and Sparky forgot to say that his benches have a special ground wire and rubber tops! :lol: :lol:

:wink:

T.
Thomas Short
Indianapolis, IN (KUMP)
RV-8 wings

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

:mrgreen: CJ
RV-7

jimrobinette
Class E

Post by jimrobinette »

Guys,

Thanks for all the replys. Before I wrote this post, I didn't measure anything because I didn't want to bias myself in any way. Kind of like trying on a pair of jeans without looking at the size and just going by what feels right.

After reading all the posts, I went an measured where I have been working and it is at 37". I knew I wanted something slightly taller, and after reading these posts, I am going to settle at somewhere around 38-39". Seems a comfortable seat-to-table height is about 12-13" (I never bothered (or cared) about these heights enough to measure them prior). So...It looks like I am also on the lookout for a stool at about 15-16".

I think something higher than 40" will be too uncomfortable, not on the back, but rather on the arms as you will always have them raised to reach the table. But you don't want it too short, or you will be bent over.

Oh, for the simple life prior to aircraft building. :) My wife thinks I am crazy, but I figure with hundreds of more hours, it is important to be comfortable.

Appreciate all the input, especially the belly button. Never realized that would be a comfortable work height.

Thanks guys.

Jim

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

:lmao: on the grounded, rubber coated table....

Jim,
Sounds like your all set now to build that table. Don't take too long though, as you should be working on that plane more. :)

Great to hear from you.
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

johnk
Class E

Post by johnk »

I generally followed the EAA plans for overall construction and made my bench surface about 34 inches above the floor. I am about 6' and this bench height works well for me. Also, as many others have done, I added a 1.25 inch overhang all around for attaching clamps. This overhang has been very useful and I highly recommend it.