My wimpy little yoke. I got yoke envy.

A place to discuss workshops and the use and desirability of tools.
jim_geo
Class C

My wimpy little yoke. I got yoke envy.

Post by jim_geo »

Sorry I couldn't help that when I saw what Johns last post was.

I've used the tool made from vice grips for close quarter dimpling and didn't like it very much Simply put I wasn't impressed with the quality of the dimple. Maybe I just had a bum pair to use. That said, when I ordered my tool set from Cleveland tool supply it came with a tool set for close quarter dimpling or at least that's what I thought. As it turns out it really doesn't work if you can't get at the area to be dimpled from both sides of your work pretty well. You know the one that you use with your pop rivet puller.

Well we all need a way to dimple the rib flanges at the trailing edge. There's about a quarter inch of space and it's about impossible to get at. So I decided it was high time for a new yoke. The one I've got here was shop made by me for the sole purpose of dimpling. Believe me this will never set a rivet but it does a fine job of dimpling.

In use, I use the female side of the dimple tool I'd gotten from Cleveland. With a little finagling the dies work together very well. A little supper glue to hold the female die in place wouldn't hurt.

And there it is a dimpling yoke for really tight places. Now I'd like to see someone make one out of some really nice tool steel.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Jim, really cool dimpler yoke!

Lacking all those skills, I made this dimpler for that "close quarters" dimple on the trailing edge.

How is that Main Squeeze treating you?

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Nice yoke!! Mail it to me when I start the wing would you? I don't even want to admit how I did those dimples now. Yipes, Im ashamed. :(
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

nice yoke jim! i did the same thing CJ did, but i still don't get good results with that method. i usually end up using a combo dimple/countersink with those tight quarter spots. i dimple as best i can, then countersink a TINY bit to get the rivet to sit flush. i don't remove much metal at all this way, so i still maintain the strength needed there.

:wink:
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

John, When my son and I took the construction class Wally had both types of squeezers. The Main Squeeze and the standards sold by the other suppliers. We got the chance to use them both in fact it was part of the class to use them side by side. I think Wally owns Cleveland stock (not really). At ant rate it was hands down easier to drive rivets with the main squeeze. While I'm thinking about it. Wally had an extra long back riveting ummm whata ya call it. You know the thing that fits in the business end of a rivet gun. It's long enough to also fit the standard C-Frame tool that you use it with. Any way, it made back riveting pretty brain dead stuff just line up your work and pull the trigger. That little gem comes from Avery. Also I don't have one :( . Just thought it would be cool to mention.

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

On another note. Most of the shaping done when making that yoke was done with a Porter Cable router turning a 3/8" straight flute bit, Free hand :) . Don't try this at home boys and girls. Viva la Carbide.