Plexi in trail tool

A place to discuss workshops and the use and desirability of tools.
jim_geo
Class C

Plexi in trail tool

Post by jim_geo »

Here is a helpful but minor tool. Made from Plexiglas this gauge replaces the wooden slat with a long slot that Vans suggests using in the builders manual. Used as an “in trail” gauge when adjusting the length of the aileron push rods in combination with the supplied bell crank gauge. No tool other than a drill press is needed to construct this gauge so long as your plexi supplier will cut the Plexiglas to size. 2” X 42”. I made myself two with the intention of doing the final rigging with them rather than ever having to use the bell crank gauge again.

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

great idea jim!! what did you use to make the line down the middle?
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

Here you go Chad

After drilling two holes in line (use the fence). Lock the quill down so the point of the drill penetrats the paper (not shown) and cuts into the plastic slightly. Then making sure to press the plexi firmly against the fence push the plastic along slowly. Hint: replace the 3/16ths bit with a larger diameter to keep the bit from flexing to much.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Cool! Thanks Jim!

I am gonna do the same thing!

Tell me. In this pic:

You have the centerline picked up from off center. Does this matter? Am I looking at this wrong? Is this what Van tells you to do?

:? CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

great! thanks jim! i do believe i'll do the same as well 8)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

Center line is created at a random point. As in, I set the fence about an inch away from the bit. Keep the plexi against the fence and you're always in line. The fence and plexi do need to be straight edged, I actually used an aluminum angle for the fence. For clarity I used a piece of wood in the pictures. I think that's what your asking. I also made spacers from the AT that van's supplies to hold that gauge out from the rib but even and flat against aileron. Any other kind of miss alignment you're seeing is just bad photography Everything is straight and tight in person.

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

Oh wait a minute. I think I know what you meant now. Those are the tooling holes that are used to set the trail. Van's puts them there when the ribs are made. You use those two holes and ignore the ones on the aileron ribs. It's the trailing edge of the aileron we are lining up with.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

OK, I understand.

I need to read ahead in the plans and see how they describe it.

Thanks!

:mrgreen: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!