Tool Vendors

A place to discuss workshops and the use and desirability of tools.
captain_john
Sparky

Tool Vendors

Post by captain_john »

Whom do you buy your tools from? I know that everyone has been extollong the virtues of Avery lately. I totally agree! They are absolutely FABULOUS! Great tools, people, support and prices.

Cleaveland is equally as good in my mind. I am getting ready to place an order for the Vice-Grip modified tools they have. I relly need the Vice-Grip edge roller tool. It is definately the greatest thing since sliced bread!

Aircraft Tool Supply I really haven't used, but the hand squeezer I bought from them is CRAP! It has no balls and clubs rivets! I try squeezing short -3's and it is useless! I have relegated it's duty to dimpling roles ONLY now.

I have an Aircraft Spruce catalog and it is GREAT batthroom reading! TONS of 411 about aluminum alloys and hardware sizing! It really moves your bowels! hahahaha

Other aviation tools sources like Home Depot, Lowes, Sears and the local Chinese tool jobber / odd lot store.

I won't buy from Harbor Freight. They sent me a catalog once and when placing the order, the order got so screwed up due to incompetent sales support I refuse to do business with them! I told them I can buy cheap tools anywhere.

I got my 3X gun from Clear Air tools. Great service!

I made my own DRDT-1 Dimpler. It is WONDERFUL! If you haven't heard about it, it is the lever operated dimpling tool from Paul Merems. It is totally SILENT and extremely POWERFUL! Maybe I can provide a link and photo if anyone is interested.

Is there anyone else we should be doing business with that you now of?

:grouphug: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Snap
Class D

Post by Snap »

Mate,
I would like to see this link to the tool you speak of. Sounds great
Especially the powerful bit. :evil:
RV-7A Emp
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Piece o' cake. Here it is: http://www.experimentalaero.com/DRDT-2.htm

I made the DRDT-1. It is the first version and comes complete with instructions for welding the frame and assembling the framw. I will take a pic and post it to show you when I have a chance.

Paul Merems is also an RV builder. He is also super to deal with!

:) CJ
RV-7

N200PF
Class D

Post by N200PF »

You have summed it up well Captain John!!!

Cleaveland are the only people I have delt with at any length to date and they seem terrific! They're VERY focused on actully helping new builders learn rather than just trying to sell packages! This scores them BIG points in my book being a rookie! I will always go to them first now based on the time they've given me so far! They've earned it!

:mrgreen: - Peter

wurger
Class G

tool vendors

Post by wurger »

I bought my 3x cp rivet gun from Fred at Clear Air. I will buy a pneumatic squeezer from him soon. A nice guy and very helpful. Brown Tool Co. has very good pricing and they are very helpful also. :)

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Lemme tells ya, Fred is a great guy. Quite helpful and his prices are right. I bought my 3X gun from him and it hits a WHOLE lot harder with less BPM than my buddy's 3X. This leads me to believe it is not a 3X. I turn the pressure Waaaaaay down compared to my buddy's gun to get equal performance. It is fine for 1/8" rivets, but the smaller gun has much more finesse for the dash threes.

The bigger gun will be just the ticket for the spar / rib rivets on the wing with the Loooong set! I still plan on getting a small 2X though.

8) CJ
RV-7

arffguy
Class E

Re: Tool Vendors

Post by arffguy »

Captain_John wrote:
I won't buy from Harbor Freight. They sent me a catalog once and when placing the order, the order got so screwed up due to incompetent sales support I refuse to do business with them! I told them I can buy cheap tools anywhere.

If you have a local Harbor Freight, as I do, you can walk in and (maybe) get something you want. They do sell some name brand stuff along with their imported garbage. You just have to wander around the store and look at everything. For instance I bought some Vise-Grip clamps there a lot cheaper and only paid 39 bucks for that set of three Unibits that Avery is asking $62.50 for.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Nawwwwww... no retail HF's out here on the right coast.

I wish there were. The "self, shelf service" would beat the "stealth service" they offer over the telphone.

I prefer to fuel up at self service stations for this exact reason. Yo can alays count on the consistency of service... none, unless you provide it. Discounted prices are the other benefit!

:) CJ
RV-7

Snap
Class D

Post by Snap »

all of our servo's here in australia are self serve. Have been for as long as I can remeber and it doesn't make a lick of difference at the cash register. as the saying goes......'they $%@# you in the drive-thru'.

:spit:
RV-7A Emp
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.