tools only for the Emp Kit

A place to discuss workshops and the use and desirability of tools.
jakec
Class G

Post by jakec »

CJ,

I really appreciate you sending the videos. I Owe ya one!

U.S. Postal Service is the only way for me to get mail here. The good thing is that you only pay domestic shipping. The military pays the rest of the way once it leaves the U.S. Please let me know the cost because I WILL reimburse you.

Thanks!!

Jake
Jake Crause
Baghdad, Iraq
www.homebuiltairplanes.com

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

NP, Fuggetaboudit...

:wink:

I will likely get them out tomorrow after school.

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

jakec
Class G

Post by jakec »

CJ,

Got the Videos....Thanks!! I started watching them yesterday. Very informative indeed. I'll get them back in the mail here shortly.

Jake
Jake Crause
Baghdad, Iraq

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Cool Jake!

Really, hold onto them for a few months or longer if need be. I won't be needing them anytime soon.

Take your time!

RV-7

jakec
Class G

Post by jakec »

Well, I received the practice kit about 3 weeks ago, but just started work on it a few days ago. I had an Aviator Proficiency And Readiness Test (APART) that I had to get out of the way first. Once a year the APART becomes an Army Aviator's sole focus. Even over here in a Combat Zone, most of the requirements must be met. No big deal, just had some studying to do is all.

I've been spending some time down at the Sheet Metal shop working on the practice kit and it is becoming obvious that completing the emp kit over here is not going to be practical. They really just aren’t set up for me to come in there and work on a big project like this. Space is limited in the shop itself and outside the shop there is constant activity to the point I would not feel comfortable leaving the project laying around when I'm out flying or sleeping. I would just worry about it all the time. Their tool situation is dismal as well and I would need to have a lot of the tools shipped over here anyway. As much as I wanted to get the ball rolling over here, I think it is just going to be best if I take my time and do it in my own shop with my own tools. The deployment is over half over with now, so I think I will just concentrate on making sure the Emp Kit and all required tools are waiting for me when I get home.

The first snag I ran into with the Practice kit has been that they do not have Dimple Dies here. I guess most riveting they do on Army aircraft is with standard head rivets. I know this to be true because I must have snagged my boot on that Darn rivet head next to the anti-torque pedals 50 times. Each time my first instinct is that I've got a stuck pedal and I'm going to die!! They really need to put a flush rivet in that spot but I guess they don't because they don't have any dimple dies!!

Anyway, thanks for all of the advice on tools. I'll be putting it to good use here soon.
Jake Crause
Baghdad, Iraq

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Jake,

Good to hear from you! I think you are making the correct decision based upon the adverse conditions at hand.

In the meanwhile, do the practice kit and save your money. Maybe helping to buck a few rivets and hanging around the maintenance hangar would be time well spent?

When are you coming back home? Maybe we can see you on our way out to the Oswego RV Fly-in?

We can pick you up along the way!

RV-7

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

Merry Christmas! We will be praying for your safe return! We will also pray for your family in your absence. Sorry you can't work on your project there but it sounds like it would be a bad idea. Again Merry Christmas and hope to see you at a fly-in some where soon.

hueypilot
Class G

Post by hueypilot »

Jake,

Nice to see another CW2 on the list. I was with USAAAD at Drum. USAAAD moved to Yakima, WA and took me along. I'm not far from Vans and would be happy to reship anything you need. I haven't been to Iraq yet but I would think there must be an AVUM/AVIM nearby. They should have more room and tools. A lot of the LSI guys have there own squeezers and other special tools that you could use if you ask nicely. As for me, I am collecting tools and hope to have my tail kit before too long. Anyway, let me know if I can help.

CW2 Nathan Lundgren
Nathan Lundgren
Huey Driver and RV-7 Enthusiast
Collecting Tools / Tail Kit Soon
United States Army Air Ambulance Detachment (USAAAD)
Yakima, WA