squeezers

A place to discuss workshops and the use and desirability of tools.
wjbruner
Class G

squeezers

Post by wjbruner »

Anybody have any experience with the economy squeezers that are clones of the tatco? I have the Avery squeezer and also use a friend's Tatco. Both are very nice. I need a 4" and a "no hole" yoke but am reluctant to lay out the big money for yokes required for the Avery squeezer. I'm considering purchasing another squeezer and may opt for an economy modiel with the needed yokes. Any suggestions?[/i]

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Yah.. I got an opinion!

Don't waste money on junk. Buy the STANDARD yokes and the Avery squeezer that will use them. You will save loot in the long run.

:) CJ

P.S. Thank me later by purchasing me an adult beverage at an airshow later!
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

JohnR
Class B

Post by JohnR »

First of all, welcome to Rivetbangers!

Don't worry CJ always has an opinion. :wink:

In this case I would agree with him. If you buy the good ones when your done you can get most of your money back out of them if you want and you won't have to use the cheap stuff in the interim.
JohnR
RV-7A - Fuselage - SOLD, just not supposed to be
Numbers 6:24 - The LORD bless thee, and keep thee

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

I concur with my fellow Rivetbangers... Go quality with the Avery stuff, and you won't be posting any screw up or regrets later.
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Get quality and sleep well. Something else to ponder is that the cost of the squeezer is nothing compared to the costs for the rest of the project. I find that I get more out of my project by having good tools that help me do it right the first time.

Come to think of it I am only building a plane so I have reasons to get cool tools :thumbsup:

:welcome:
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

markb
Class G

Post by markb »

Hi. I'm a Mustang II builder and a long time lurker on this board.

The Tatco clones are quality tools and I highly recommend them. I purchased one from Aircraft Tool Supply, but I believe the Yard sells the exact same squeezer. I've used both the 1-1/2" and 3" yokes, and both give good results with no tendency to "club" rivets.

Personally, I prefer the Tatco style squeezers over the heavier models (such as the Avery) that use CP-214 yokes. The Tatco, with its thin yoke and slim handles, can get into spots the bigger squeezers can't get into. The Tatco clones may not hold up as well as the originals; I haven't used mine enough to say for certain. The Yard sells a variety of yokes, including a "no hole" yoke for tight spots and a 2 x 2 inch yoke that should work in spots where you might use a longeron yoke with a CP-214. They also sell quick-change pins for Tatco.

Here's a link to the Tatco and Tatco clone squeezers at the Yard.

http://www.yardstore.com/browse.cfm/2,406.html

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

The Yard Store ROCKS!! I've bought the majority of my tools from them. There are a few specialty items that they don't have that I bought from Avery or Cleveland, but most of the stuff is available from The Yard, and it's great stuff...super fast shipping!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: WAY UP!
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

I'm still happy with my Main Squeeze from Cleavland tools.

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

jim_geo wrote:I'm still happy with my Main Squeeze from Cleavland tools.
That's a great tool, I have one as well.
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)

weezbad
Class C

Post by weezbad »

avery style for me. the yokes fit my pneumatic also, bought from cleveland. dont know about the others the. the avery stuff is top notch.
william....don't let it beat you down, you are stronger than you think.

BSwayze
Class C

Post by BSwayze »

Maybe I'm one of the few who has never had a hand squeezer. I got a pneumatic right at first and I love it so much I never saw the need for a hand squeezer. Maybe I'm missing something, but it works for me. :)

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Bruce, you are not alone. I only have the pneu squeeze as well.

There is only one thing that the hand squeezer does better than the pneu squeeze that I have found. That is when it comes to "fattening up" long rivets for installation onto accidentally larger holes.

I have used Wicked Stick's Avery and like it because it uses standard yokes like Jim's Main Squeeze from Cleaveland Tools.

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

weezbad
Class C

Post by weezbad »

i found the hand squeezer to fit some places the pnuematic wouldnt. IIRC on the rear spar in some places,,,,,,maybe the aileron brkts. :? due to its thinness, it would fit right up next to a rib. (handle in the rib bay)

wjbruner
Class G

NO HOLE YOKES

Post by wjbruner »

One more thing regarding squeezers. When considering a "no hole yoke", any reason to purchase the 4" instead of the 1"? :?

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

I have both the 1" and the 4" no-hole yokes. The 1" one hardly ever gets used, if I had to do again, I would only get the 4" one since it can get to places the 1" can't. The 4" yoke is thinner over a larger distance at the nose, so it is more useful doing rivets in tight places even if a 1 inch reach is all that would be needed. Just my opinion of course.
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)

JohnR
Class B

Post by JohnR »

The 4 inch is the one I probably use the most. I like it because it is easy to get in places and has a nice long reach. I don't have a 1 inch so can't comment on it.
JohnR
RV-7A - Fuselage - SOLD, just not supposed to be
Numbers 6:24 - The LORD bless thee, and keep thee

weezbad
Class C

Post by weezbad »

i had the machine shop make me a 4 inch no hole yoke...really made building the leading edges easy..a 4 will cover your needs.