How do you build in a hangar?

A place to discuss workshops and the use and desirability of tools.
danielhv
Class G

How do you build in a hangar?

Post by danielhv »

So, I am in the middle of a relocation for work, and everything I own was in a storage unit. I HAD a cherokee 180 so I was looking for a hangar. Long wait lists, etc... I decided to sell the 180. 1 week after I sell it, a hangar comes available... imagine that! I went ahead and took the hangar, and eliminated the storage unit. Once I get a house up here, Im going to keep the hangar to build in (possibly). My only concerns are:

1. It only has ONE single 110v outlet. (My compressor is 220v)
2. It only has 1 single light in the hangar

Other than that, its at a nice, new, quiet airport... New hangars, etc... What are the thoughts of those ahead of me or those that have been down a similar road?

Here are a couple of pics of the hangar:

Im finishing up the wings btw....
RV-7
Empenage - DONE
Wings - Almost Done
Fuselage - ORDERED
http://www.danielhv.com

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Daniel,

Some 220V compressors are convertible back to 110V. However, at 110V it will consume twice the current (amps) as it did when it was 220V so you might screwed if the outlet is only 15 or 20 A (most likely 15A).

I highly suggest building at home just because you will be able to get so much done. A majority of my building time is probably accounted for by going to the garage an hour every night. Its tough to do so when you got to drive to your hangar.

Stock hangar lighting definitely sucks. Buy some halogen lights on a stand (harbor freight) to help out your situation.

Take that Checkokee 180 sales money and buy a used RV-3/4/6 to keep that hangar of yours company!

Good luck,
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Hey Daniel, I see you registered a while ago but let me officially welcome your first post!! :welcome:

I agree with Jim. Sublet your hangar if you can and build at home. You could quite possibly save yourself a decade. Building at the hangar is a tough road to hoe since there are drives in each direction, tool accessibility (think 'Dang, I left that wrench at home', etc.)

Check out my thread on 'the perfect building day' to see what I mean.

And congratulations on the wings!!

Spike
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

Cherokee Driver
Class E

Post by Cherokee Driver »

First of all :welcome:

I agree with Mike. Building in the hanger would slow me down much more than I already am. I make a LOT of progress just by doing 15 minutes a day. Going to the hanger makes that less practical.

Power. Jeez that is a problem. Obviously a generator could help. Some of them are very quiet. I have a 3000 Watt Honda that is very nice and very quiet...I also have a gas compressor for those times I am out and about with out power...that is very noisy. All of that would work but then you are running into noise issues if the neighbors don't like it. You are also spending cash on gasoline instead of parts.

Any chance the management would approve an electrical upgrade? Good lighting is very helpful and the compressor is...well...a necessity. You probably thought of this already...good luck and again, welcome to the group.
RV-8A
Wing Kit (Slow Build...very slow build)
Home of "Skunk Works, Wisconsin Branch"
"Glacial Pace...but lovin every minute of it!"

Cherokee Driver
Class E

Post by Cherokee Driver »

When I put up my post I was thinking...Wow I get to welcome a new poster before Spike...what an honor. Spike you musta beat me by seconds. Anyway...Daniel we all hope you keep us posted on your decisions.

CD
RV-8A
Wing Kit (Slow Build...very slow build)
Home of "Skunk Works, Wisconsin Branch"
"Glacial Pace...but lovin every minute of it!"

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Also, you don't really need a big 220V compressor. My friend Bill Cloughley ( http://www.pilotbill.com ) built his RV-7 with a little 1.5hp compressor:

I built my entire empennage with a small 2 HP compressor as well. It wasn't all that bad. It just runs a lot so be sure to change the oil more often.
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

svanarts
Air Marshall

Post by svanarts »

Check with your airport and make sure it's OK to build in your hangar. Being in California we have our share of airport Nazi's that are quick to tell you what you can and cannot keep in your hangar and what "appropriate acvities" are allowed in your hangar. I love this state. That's sarcasm y'all.

Barring that, I agree with everyone else. Build at home if possible. You can go in and warm up when it's cold. You can go get a drink if it's hot. On your way to bed you can stop by your garage or shop and just look at the project and dream...
Scott VanArtsdalen
Token Heretic
Nirvana Rodeo / Dudek Universal
S-6ES N612SV - GONE but not forgotten
RV-4 N311SV - SOLD

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Daniel,

I agree with these guys wholeheartedly. Build as much as you can at home. It is hard enough for most of us to find time to build to begin with. When the plane is that far away, (more than a few footsteps) it is even harder.

While I was going though my divorce, I moved my plane up to my hangar (mostly to mitigate any possible bad outcomes) and I never did a lick of work to it!

My hangar is outfitted with heat, very adequate light, and most of the amenities of home including cooking equipment and I still prefer to be here, at home and tinkering.

Besides, my hangar is currently rented to Bill H. (who has just completed the BEST -6 anyone has ever seen) so I couldn't move my stuff in there and kick him out if I wanted to! Really, the thing is AWESOME!!! Everyone HAS to see it to believe it!

Sooo, rent the hangar out if you can. It lets you write off your trips to the airport!!!

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

dons
Class C

Post by dons »

Hi Daniel. You can build a LOT at home before you even need to consider moving to the airport and it is so much more convenient. My shop is about 10 x 20 and I don't intend on moving to the airport until I'm ready to mount the wings for good. Being able to put in a few minutes of build time here and there when you are only steps away from the 'home life' just can't be beat in my opinion. By the time you need to be at the airport, 220 won't be a big issue.
Don Sinclair
CYKF
RV-7A (Fuselage)