ATS Tool Kit

A place to discuss workshops and the use and desirability of tools.
bmurrish
Class D

ATS Tool Kit

Post by bmurrish »

Does anyone own the RV tool kit that Aircraft Tool Supplies sells? I am interested to see how well the tools have worked out for you. I have read Capt John's opinion on one of their tools, but I was hoping to get a overall opinion about the entire kit. Just trying to see if I can justify spending $500 more dollars at Cleaveland that could be spent somewhere else.
Bill Murrish
RV-8 Fuselage

arffguy
Class E

Post by arffguy »

Is the price difference between them really that much? Personally I didn't buy one of the pre-made "tool kits." Some tools you can get away without, others you gotta have but don't come in the kit and yet others you can borrow from other builders assuming you have access to a good builders group or EAA chapter.

airman
Class G

Post by airman »

So far I am happy with them. The only other thing I wish they had in there kit, is the rivet gauges and the back riveting plate. I can not honestly compare it to the others since I have not owned the other brands.
RV9A

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

I am happier buying ala-carte. I have a base of good tools and when I want or cannot borrow one, I buy it.

It works for me.

8) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

Auburntsts
Class G

Post by Auburntsts »

The core of my tools is a customised ATS RV kit. The only issue I have with it is the beehive spring for the flush set. It was horrible so I picked up a quick release one from Avery's -- mo' better! As for customizing I deleted their hand squeezer, flush sets, and dimple dies in favor of Cleaveland's Main squeeze kit plus their dimple dies. I also deleted the tool box, sheet metal hand book (already had it) and C-frame rivet tool (I've got a DRDT-2). Plus I went ala carte l(Avery, Cleaveland, The Yard Store, Home Depot) like Capt John for specific items that weren't included. The main reasons I went with them was they let me pay for in in 4 equal payments instead of a lump sum (a strong selling point during Christmas plus it was also on sale at the time) and the fact that I knew I was going to fill the kit's gaps from the other retailers. Bottom line, if you want to keep the customization down to the minimum, I would suggest going with Cleaveland or Avery. In the end, you'll probably end up paying about the same amount after you completely flesh out your tool pruchases. IMHO, the only real way to save any significant money is to find an Avery or Cleaveland kit for sale by a builder who has decided to move on from their project.
Todd Stovall

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Welcome Todd :thumbsup:

-- John
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

bmurrish
Class D

Post by bmurrish »

Thanks for the replies. I was hoping to order a complete kit so I can take advantage of the discounted price and to avoid shipping costs from multiple companies. The main problem I am having now is finding a tool kit that matches what Vans recommends. None of the companies have all the recommended tools. Some ommit some and others add some. I just want to make sure I am getting everything I need and not wasting money that could be spent on the actual kit.

Comments welcomed
Bill Murrish
RV-8 Fuselage

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Keep in mind that Van's suggested tool list is old and based on the non-prepunched kits. There are some things there that wont get very much use at all....
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

...and some that will!

When I started, i used a 1/4" drill bit as a deburring tool. Well, lemme tells ya, the Avery offset whirly gig thing is WONDERFUL!!!

It truly IS the little things in life!

:mrgreen: CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

ATS Tool kit

Post by Guest »

I bought an ATS rivet gun several years ago & would never do so again--it has poor trigger control. Almost an all or nothing sort of thing. Same with the Taylors I have seen. My AI recommends a Chicago Pneumatic or an Ingersoll Rand. I have an Ingersoll Rand I bought on Ebay for $45 & it works just fine, but now they go for more, especially the CP's. From what we have seen in our builder's group, it looks like a 3X is better than a 2X. The 2X takes too many hits to drive a 1/8" rivet. It will do it, but it takes awhile and you may work harden them a little if the blows are on the light side.

Richard Scott
RV-9A Wings

Dan A
Class D

Post by Dan A »

Get an in line valve to control the air flow thru the 3X rivit gun. I use one on my 3X. You can control the air flow to get a real soft hammer blow or as hard as you want for the larger rivits.
Dan

Re: ATS Tool Kit

Post by Guest »

bmurrish wrote:Does anyone own the RV tool kit that Aircraft Tool Supplies sells? I am interested to see how well the tools have worked out for you. I have read Capt John's opinion on one of their tools, but I was hoping to get a overall opinion about the entire kit. Just trying to see if I can justify spending $500 more dollars at Cleaveland that could be spent somewhere else.
You need to check out www.planetools.com before you buy from anyone. They have the best prices and best quality over Cleaveland, Aircraft Tool Supply, Avery or any others.

Post by Guest »

I bought the ats kit, and must say the drill is a piece of @#&!. I would delete it and pick one up at sears, mine works great!

Good Luck

jim_geo
Class C

Post by jim_geo »

I bought the Cleavland tool kit and had it slightly modified for the quick build (fewer clecos). Now that I have used everything at least once I think it was a good deal while at the same time being a good start. It does have a rivet gauge as a standard item but as John pointed out the Avery whirly gig debur tool is a must have. Also ordering a longer back rivet steel would be a smart move. All in all you more than likely will be buying other less specific tools. I have found that the three speed rivet gun that Cleavland supplies works great although it would help to have the padded edged style mushroom driver. The drill is also as far as I can see very good quality except that it would be a plus if it were reversable. Oh and one other thing, the hand squeezer from Cleavland is an increadable improvment over the other guys hand squeezers. Absolutly no strain to set rivets and very well made.

the yard

Post by Guest »

[quote="Auburntsts"]The core of my tools is a customised ATS RV kit. The only issue I have with it is the beehive spring for the flush set. It was horrible so I picked up a quick release one from Avery's -- mo' better! As for customizing I deleted their hand squeezer, flush sets, and dimple dies in favor of Cleaveland's Main squeeze kit plus their dimple dies. I also deleted the tool box, sheet metal hand book (already had it) and C-frame rivet tool (I've got a DRDT-2). Plus I went ala carte l(Avery, Cleaveland, The Yard Store, Home Depot) like Capt John for specific items that weren't included. The main reasons I went with them was they let me pay for in in 4 equal payments instead of a lump sum (a strong selling point during Christmas plus it was also on sale at the time) and the fact that I knew I was going to fill the kit's gaps from the other retailers. Bottom line, if you want to keep the customization down to the minimum, I would suggest going with Cleaveland or Avery. In the end, you'll probably end up paying about the same amount after you completely flesh out your tool pruchases. IMHO, the only real way to save any significant money is to find an Avery or Cleaveland kit for sale by a builder who has decided to move on from their project. I found the Yard Store, of Wichita Kansas to have the best prices and everything in stock. Avery always seems to backorder somethin[/b]

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

i LOVE The Yard Store! they have the best prices anywhere, and every tool i've bought from them works perfect (new and used), and they arrive in three days or less, usually two. ATS usually takes two weeks or more to arrive, unless you want to pay the high shipping rates to get it quicker. The Yard is very good with quick shipping, and great shipping prices.

MHO :)
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

tshort
Class C

Post by tshort »

They stand behind their stuff, too - Mani and I both have used pneumatic squeezers from there and he sent his back for some functional and cosmetic problems and they replaced it no questions asked.
I've called them a couple of times for stuff and they're always helpful

Also bought a 8x20" or so piece of 1/4" steel plate from them for cheap (like a couple of bucks), polished it with a scotchbrite surface prep pad, and now have a backrivet plate for cheap.

Thomas
-8 wings

cjensen
Whiskey Victor

Post by cjensen »

that's good to know. i did the same thing for a back rivet plate. they sold me a piece of steel for like $4. didn't end up using it because it was ever-so-slightly warped. i has come in handy to have anyway. i ended up going down to my local welding shop and bought a nice piece of cold finish steel, really straight for about $5. that one got the polish treatment and is my back rivet plate.
Chad Jensen
Missing my RV-7...
Vertical Power support
http://verticalpower.com

RV Tool Kit with DRDT-2 Dimpler

Post by Guest »

The best buy out there is the www.planetools.com RV tool kit that includes a free upgrade to the DRDT-2 Dimpler. You will love this machine for your dimpling. Also, their tools are higher quality and they have better prices than ATS, Cleveland, Avery and the others. Check them out before you commit to buy a tool kit because I am really happy with their service and they stand behind everything they sell.