torque wrench

A place to discuss workshops and the use and desirability of tools.
Joe Parish
Class D

torque wrench

Post by Joe Parish »

Possible to purchase one torque wrench that will cover everything needed for a complete build? (purchasing engine not building) Just wondering what I need :?:
Joe
N525XC reserved
Empennage done
wings done
Fuse in progress
RV-9A

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Actually I think that will be very difficult. On the bottom end you have AN3 fasteners which start at like 25 lb/in and on the upper end you have the big bolts for prop and such which take quite a few lb/ft. You will probably need 2 or three of them.

Spike
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

Joe,

You will need an inch-lb torque wrench the most during the build. I bought one from Sears (Craftsman Microtork® Torque Wrench, 25-250 in. lbs., 3/8 in. Drive , Model # 44593 ) which has worked very well.

You will need a Ft-lb torque wrench less frequently - engine mount bolts, wing bolts, some other random bolts here and there. You can probably find someone to lend you one.
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

Bob Barrett
Class C

Post by Bob Barrett »

I was able to borrow a foot pound torque wrench from my Brother and a inch pound torque wrench from another builder who had finished his airplane. He is now starting a second airplane and had the nerve to want it back!

Joe Parish
Class D

Post by Joe Parish »

Thanks for the info guys! I figured I may need more than one but wasn"t sure. Sears just had that one on sale and I passed on it until I could get some feed back from you all :!: Thanks
Joe
N525XC reserved
Empennage done
wings done
Fuse in progress
RV-9A