Priming question

A place to discuss your primer & paint choices including using paint shops or doing it yourself.
N749MS
Class G

Priming question

Post by N749MS »

I stopped by my local PPG paint store to see what primers they offered for parts prior to assembly... They recommended the following three products instead... They are direct to metal paint instead of primer, because they don't recommend standard primers if there isn't going to be a top-coat.
They are described as "basically the same with different surface finishes"

DEVFLEX 4020PF flat
Devflex 4212HP eggshell
DEVFLEX 4216HP semi-gloss

These are in their industrial paint line, this store does not handle their automotive line. I am looking for something I can source locally.
Anybody have experience with any of these?

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

I took a look at the datasheet for this primer and it seemed to be more aimed at steel, not aluminum (https://docs.td.ppgpmc.com//download/11 ... ex-4020-pf)

I am pretty sure Van's uses the PPG DX 1791 wash primer on their quickbuild kits. It might be worth looking into.

I completely agree that you need to find a proper primer that doesn't need a topcoat. Most spray-can primers cause more trouble as good, as they act as a sponge to cause the topcoat to adhere. When there's no topcoat, it's a great place for moisture to hang out.

The gold standard in priming is an epoxy primer. I ended up using AKZO. It is expensive (especially with Hazmat shipping!!), but when it's all said and done, it is bulletproof, and it is the primer to which all others are compared to.
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

N749MS
Class G

Thanks

Post by N749MS »

I had a feeling that was going to be the answer... It does briefly mention aluminum on the second page of the data sheet... The young man at the store was really trying to be helpful but did not inspire a great deal of confidence, that's why I asked here. I don't want to be a guinea pig if it's not necessary. I did really like the idea that it was less toxic...

Yeah AKZO is kind of pricey, but really how much do you end up using? Is the 2gallon kit enough for everything? Fortunately I only live 1.5 hours from AC Spruce so no need for hazmat charges... Unfortunately I only live 1.5 hours from AC Spruce...lol

bullojm1
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by bullojm1 »

I used just over 2 gallons. I was lucky enough to be able to find a friend who just finished building and he sold me his leftover at a great discount.

Wow! Almost $200 per gallons at ACS! I remember when I bought this stuff back nearly 10 years ago it was closer to $100. I wish my work pay followed the same trend!!
Mike Bullock
http://www.rvplane.com
RV-7 | Superior IO-360 | Whirlwind 200RV
Garmin GTN650 | GRT Dual Sport SX EFIS

N749MS
Class G

Post by N749MS »

Don't we all...

Oh well in the great scheme of the build $200-400 is cheap insurance... Looks the general consensus is do the priming outside vs booth and expensive ventilation solutions...

plbarrett2004
Class E

Post by plbarrett2004 »

Agree completely with Mike on AKZO. I've used it for all my priming (except the QB fuselage). Its bullet tough, relatively easy to work with, and dries very quickly. I sprayed my AKZO in a garage, outside, and in the hangar. It dries so quickly over spray is not an issue. Highly recommended.

That said, I'll be using a two part PPG epoxy primer (DELFLEET ESU 470 - which is suitable for aluminum) for cockpit interior parts only because they will be immediately followed with a corresponding PPG topcoat. Its a little cheaper, locally available, and will pair well with PPG topcoat (if done immediately before final paint... you'll lose chemical bond after 24 hours or less)
Peter Barrett
CFI, CFII, MEI
RV-8 Fastback - Fuselage in progress
Build Log @ papalimabravo.com
SEMPER FIDELIS