Milestones for 2010

A forum for the proverbial airport bum who just wants to talk about anything and everything related to flying. Introduce yourself here !!

captain_john
Sparky

Milestones for 2010

Post by captain_john »

Hey all,

I know that there have been some really good milestones that took place here this year. We have MANY 2010 airworthy airplanes on this BBS! That is awesome!

I just closed out the year on a good note.

Today I can say that I am done with the Fuselage kit and will be getting started on the Finish kit tomorrow!

Chad and I started at the same time and this BBS was new when I started smooshing rivets. I am still making progress and will see this project through to completion!

How was your year?

:) CJ
RV-7
Garmin G3X with VP-X & a TMX-IO-360 with G3i
It's all over but the flying! 800+ hours in only 3 years!

hydroguy2
Class B

Post by hydroguy2 »

that's a pretty good milestone to end the year with....and a great way to start the new year.
Brian
Townsend, MT

Wicked Stick
Class B

Post by Wicked Stick »

Congrats CJ ! I suspect BH has been helping you buck the remaining rivets for the fuse ? Dude, post a pick for us :).

So next up is avionics, firewall fwd & finish kit time :mrgreen:
I remember that time well, it was the time it really drained my wallet :o
Dave "WS" Rogers
RV-8 (125 hrs & counting)
N173DR

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Yah, Bill has been by a few times for sure!

Dave, Maybe I could coerce you into stopping by from time to time as well! Besides, I still owe you for the ancillary items you gave me like the firewall pass thru and the wires, etc.

I am leaning towards Garmin G3X now instead of the AFS EFIS. For the time being I am planning for either. At this stage of the game, the infrastructure is so similar but soon I will have to make a solid decision.

8) CJ
RV-7

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Milestones for 2010

Post by Spike »

I am understand that decision cj.  The garmin has definitely matured into something that seems quite usable.

Spike

Sent via DROID on Verizon Wireless

-----Original message-----
To:
hangar@rivetbangers.com
Sent:
Fri, Dec 31, 2010 12:10:06 GMT+00:00
Subject:
Milestones for 2010

Yah, Bill has been by a few times for sure! Dave, Maybe I could coerce you into stopping by from time to time as well! Besides, I still owe you for the ancillary items you gave me like the firewall pass thru and the wires, etc. I am leaning towards Garmin G3X now instead of the AFS EFIS. For the time being I am planning for either. At this stage of the game, the infrastructure is so similar but soon I will have to make a solid decision. Image CJN357JS Registered! RV-7 Fuselage Everyday there's an airshow at Hangar #5! (and now Hangar #3 as well!) Why not collect them all!?! rivetbangers.com - Discussion topic http://www.rivetbangers.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=35970#35970
Submitted via email

smithhb
Class D

Post by smithhb »

CJ,

Hey old man, miss seeing you! I have to speak up here and tell you how much I LOVE my AFS 4500's. I have had my screens for about a year now and they have performed flawlessly. The large screens are crystal clear and updating them with the free map updates is unbeatable.

I looked at the G3's at OSH and was surprised at how small the screens were. They were still working to catch up with AFS and GRT as far as geo-referencing the maps and approach plates. I remember quite a difference in price as well.

Hope to hear of a first flight from you this year... You still owe me a visit here in the warm South!
Bret Smith
9A Flying (N16BL)
Blue Ridge, GA
http://www.FlightInnovations.com
APRS Tracking: http://www.flightinnovations.com/tracking.html

RV9inIowa
Class E

2010!

Post by RV9inIowa »

I'm working my panel and will post a pic later today or tomorrow.. think you all will like it 8)

As for G3X vx. AFS - you can't go wrong either way, but I'd look at the feature set carefully. AFS gives bigger screen and more IFR type features including a flight director and ARINC 429 integration with autopilots (theirs or others). Maybe G3X does too. I'm a big AFS fan. Both are high quality units.

BTW - someone is dating themselves with the term "BBS" - I remember when that's all there was.... :)
Dave G.
Building N149DG RV-9A Finish Kit, O-320-E2A, Dual AFS-3500
Flying the restored N3689Q, the lowest time airworthy Beech Super III.

RV9inIowa
Class E

my 2010 milestones

Post by RV9inIowa »

Completed the killer slider canopy:

Got panel built & started wiring

Dave G.
Building N149DG RV-9A Finish Kit, O-320-E2A, Dual AFS-3500
Flying the restored N3689Q, the lowest time airworthy Beech Super III.

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Thanks guys!

Brett, I can't wait to fly down there and bug you sometime!

If you want to come up here (and this offer stands for all) I have a spare hangar you can use and a room at the house if you care to visit KPYM for a while.

Dave G., I have your panel right here on my desk! I printed it out and look at it frequently! It is inspirational!

I am really gonna put the hammer down on the build in 2011. Michele is psyched to fly in it and go places. She is really pushing me to finish it!

:wink: CJ
RV-7

Spike
Chief Rivet Banger

Post by Spike »

Fuse structure is mostly done. I just finished up the flap mechanism and access panels. Yipes there are a bunch of screws in the interior. 6 years down, 6 to go.

Spike
http://www.rivetbangers.com - Now integrating web and mail!
Current Build: 2 years into a beautiful little girl

BSwayze
Class C

Post by BSwayze »

You and I are at the same place roughly, CJ! I finished my fuselage kit this year, too.

The highlight was mating the wings and empennage a few months ago. I had to take it out in the driveway since I don't have room for the wingspan in my shop. That was a fun experience!

Having my son Paul home from San Diego to help was also a big highlight:

Since then, I've wrapped up all the wing root details and I'm out of parts on the inventory shelf. I'm ready for that finish kit!
Bruce Swayze
Portland, Oregon
http://www.BrucesRV7A.com
RV-7A Working on Firewall Forward

bruceh
Class D

Post by bruceh »

2010 saw me finish the wings and get almost done with the fuselage. I still need to mount the tail and wings, get the fuel lines in, and finish the tipup canopy roll bar. The finish kit will be ordered soon, but I need to decide on prop, engine and other things first. It's going to get expensive!

Happy New Year to everyone!
Bruce Hill
RV-9A N5771H flying over 1100 hours!
Build Log at http://www.overthehills.com/RV-9A-Project
Blog at https://flyingoverthehills.wordpress.com/
EAA Tech Counselor, A&P

john_r_graham
Class G

Post by john_r_graham »

I didn't quite make my 2010 goal. Attending the classes, buying the tools, setting up the shop, even receiving the kit, inventorying & organizing it, and resolving the discrepancies, doesn't quite seem like starting. I had hoped to actually start assembling the horizontal stabilizer over the Christmas holidays but I ended up just working on plumbing, paint booth, kit inventory & parts organization, and fixtures. I'll almost certainly actually start this month. I'm really close now. :)

- John

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Bruce S, That looks GREAT!!!

Bruce H, I hear ya on the expensive part! It is looming over my shoulder (and the other Bruce's as well)!

I need an infusion of cash or a very wealthy woman! hahaha

John, Shop prep is an accomplishment! You can't do anything correctly if the place is a mess. Sounds to me like you are off to a great start.

I didn't REALLY feel like I was building a plane until I had a fuselage in the garage. Now I feel like it is a plane project. I still call it "the project", as it really isn't plane... yet!

RV-7

jimpappas
Class E

I'm Alive and coming back!

Post by jimpappas »

Surviving 2010 and hoping for a better year this year.
Jim Pappas
Former RV6A Owner
jimpappas13@gmail.com
843-901-8224

Beata Bennett 843-901-8264
Kiawah/Seabrook Islands Real Estate Sales
gethomes@sbcglobal.net
Kiawah Island, SC

captain_john
Sparky

Post by captain_john »

Jim, glad to see your voice!

Hoping to see you at OSH again! Are you planning on going to the Black Otter this year?

RV-7

jimpappas
Class E

Post by jimpappas »

CJ, Thanks

I only made about an hour of OSH this year before winding up in the med facility there then home for more bed rest.

I guess 6 weeks post op was a little too soon.

This year I PLAN on Black Otter for sure!!

It'll only be me from now on unless I find a new co-pilot.

Glad youre doing well and nice to see you and Bruce and Spike making progress.
Jim Pappas
Former RV6A Owner
jimpappas13@gmail.com
843-901-8224

Beata Bennett 843-901-8264
Kiawah/Seabrook Islands Real Estate Sales
gethomes@sbcglobal.net
Kiawah Island, SC